Attaching water sample spigot to wellhead

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by JHArizona, Dec 26, 2020.

1. JHArizona

JHArizona New Member

I want to attach a spigot to my well head...and can see the threaded base coming out of the side of the pipe. However it doesn't look like anything else I have seen. On top of the pipe, there is a metal threaded cap about the size of a quarter labelled 75psi and when you unscrew it there is access to the well pipe. About an inch down is a plate or small value that looks like it would turn with a wide bladed screwdriver.

My question. If I attach a spigot to the side of the pipe where the threaded port is located...what will allow the water to flow out the spigot? Do I need to do something with the small port with the 75psi cap?
    Pictures attached.

Attached Files:

2. JerryR

JerryR Active Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That is a pressure relief valve, to prevent the pump deadheading. The screw under the cap is an adjustment.

Below that is probably something that would unscrew. You could put a tee, and run the new sample spigot and the relief valve from the two outputs of the tee.

5. kevink1955

kevink1955 Member

Before you unscrew anything, show or tell us what is under the relief valve under the black wrap. I would not want to unscrew anything on top of the well cap just incase the relief valve is the only thing holding the discharge pipe and pump from falling into the well !!

Even if you can remove the relief valve the water you get may be a backflow from the pressure tank, it all depends on the location of check valves and pressure switch. We need to know more about your system to advise you properly

6. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Lawn hydrant then you have water and freeze proof.