Arsenic Extraction/Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

CaptTPT

Reaction score
New home construction. Well is great but water has Arsenic. High flow well. Water very soft (Hardness 24mg/l), no iron or nitrates. Total arsenic is 0.056 mg/l. Water guys say use my system. “It’s the best”. After asking how it worked it was clear he knew very little about arsenic and nothing about how the system worked. I sent sample to analytic lab for Arsenic-3. None detected. Therefore all As is Arsenic-5. Shallow well. I have found multiple companies who use a std softener for As anion exchange resin. Company X uses
Fleck 5600 SXT with ResinTech ASM-10 HP Iron Oxide Resin Beads. This is standard ion exchange. Nothing magic. I want higher flow capability. Their happy to sell me a system for $5000. Ouch! Is it possible for me to use a Fleck 2510 SXT rated for 25 gpm and put this resin in the standard water softener and go with it? Where would I look for info on how to do this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you expand a bit on this?
A bit. Look at the backwash expansion graph. Look at a similar graph for softener resin. Compare the rates. You might be looking for about 40% expansion, but note that somehow they use 3.5 gpm to backwash a softener in Iowa and Florida.

To understand the gpm/sq.ft number, you would need to know that the cross sectional area of the tank. Then use the "old pie are square" thing.:D

CaptTPT

Reaction score
A bit. Look at the backwash expansion graph. Look at a similar graph for softener resin. Compare the rates. You might be looking for about 40% expansion, but note that somehow they use 3.5 gpm to backwash a softener in Iowa and Florida.

To understand the gpm/sq.ft number, you would need to know that the cross sectional area of the tank. Then use the "old pie are square" thing.:D
Is it possible to use adsorption media such as AdEdge BayOxide E33 in a unit like the Fleck 2510?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Yes but... there are medias that are considered ideal for your application. I work with several companies in Oregon that can help guide you if you like I can put you in contact with them.

There are four (actually more but...) very common medias used for arsenic reduction. All of these medias have their pros and cons and several factors should be considered when deciding which one to use.

I am going to simplify it so please no hating or responses needed that it is more technical blah blah blah… I know it is but for this discussion I don't really need to write a trade article. FYI, we distribute all three medias so I really don't care which one a customer choses so long as it will work in their specific application.

Ferric coated anion resins. Effective for Arsenic V, affected by sulfates and it has a slight potential to dump though most companies have overcome this through new processes. Not the best for taste, sometimes adds an off flavor to the water. Popular for applications where no backwashing is desired.

Iron based medias, GFH, 33, etc has a high capacity and can handle bot 3 and V. Since it is an iron based media, some iron problems may occur.

Activated Alumina, my least favorite, Arsenic V only, low capacity, low flow rates, requires that we pre regenerate it here on site. Lowest cost per cubic foot but high cost per gallon treated.

Titanium media, high initial cost but lowest cost per gallon treated. 3 and V, minimally affected by competing ions. My preferred media.

The list could go on for days about the pros and cons but I don't think anyone could read through it all without falling asleep.

CaptTPT

Reaction score
Yes but... there are medias that are considered ideal for your application. I work with several companies in Oregon that can help guide you if you like I can put you in contact with them.

There are four (actually more but...) very common medias used for arsenic reduction. All of these medias have their pros and cons and several factors should be considered when deciding which one to use.

I am going to simplify it so please no hating or responses needed that it is more technical blah blah blah… I know it is but for this discussion I don't really need to write a trade article. FYI, we distribute all three medias so I really don't care which one a customer choses so long as it will work in their specific application.

Ferric coated anion resins. Effective for Arsenic V, affected by sulfates and it has a slight potential to dump though most companies have overcome this through new processes. Not the best for taste, sometimes adds an off flavor to the water. Popular for applications where no backwashing is desired.

Iron based medias, GFH, 33, etc has a high capacity and can handle bot 3 and V. Since it is an iron based media, some iron problems may occur.

Activated Alumina, my least favorite, Arsenic V only, low capacity, low flow rates, requires that we pre regenerate it here on site. Lowest cost per cubic foot but high cost per gallon treated.

Titanium media, high initial cost but lowest cost per gallon treated. 3 and V, minimally affected by competing ions. My preferred media.

The list could go on for days about the pros and cons but I don't think anyone could read through it all without falling asleep.
Every person or company I have communicated with in Oregon either has very little understanding or their system uses a secret method of extraction they can’t tell me about. They all tell me their system is the best. I have an extensive background in chemistry and worked with Arsenic in graduate school so I have a decent understanding of how all this works. What I don’t know much about is the inner working of the mechanical device and what is required to protect it and keep it functioning properly. I have no interest in the Titaniun media or the Alumina. No need for oxidation. All I have is As5. I am concerned about how much iron enters the water from the 33. They claim it’s nil and does not alter taste. Hard to know if that’s correct without trying.

CaptTPT

Reaction score
Is there a reason to use carbon or any other type of filter after a filter with GFH or 33 if the water doesn’t otherwise require them? I notice several companies suggest using a carbon filter for no apparent reason without reviewing water analysis report.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks