Anything I Should be Aware of Before Buying this Antique Toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rosinal

Reaction score
We're looking at buying this ca. 1900 toilet. It will be a new install, in a currently unplumbed room that we will be turning into a master bath. It looks to have a trap, but we have not seen it in person. The bad repair could face the wall, or we could have it refinished — is that possible on a toilet, or will it not allow for the polishing part of the process? What would be some of the negatives/annoyances in using it? Is this just an overall bad idea? The house is an 1850's Greek revival, so we could possibly be able to swing a variance on the gpf rules.

Thanks,
Rosinal

rosinal-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need a tank to go with it.
You should be able to buy the elbow in chrome that goes to the tank. The tank mounts on the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know the rules for MI, but there are a few states where it would be illegal to sell and or buy or install that toilet. To flush, it probably uses in the 7-gallon range and maybe more, and successful flushing probably can't be done with less than the design it came with. That's compared with the maximum allowed on a new toilet of 1.6g, and less in a few states. Great lakes aside, there are places in MI that have water restrictions on occasions.

Refinishing old porcelain things is potentially risky. If there's any defect in it that might have accumulated any moisture, when refiring it, it could explode. The thermal stress of refinishing it, if there's any defect created over the years, could also cause it to crack.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Any clue when it was manufactured? Could it be a modern reproduction? From the picture the anchor both holes look too new and no sign of rust from old bolts. Recalling seeing wall tank units at my grandparents house in the 1950’s in Brooklyn NY and many old toilets in NYC buildings, the porcelain surface would show heavy cracking and discoloring. Should ask for a picture of the bottom. It may have some manufacturing marks as to when it was made.

Toilets of that error did not have a bowl full of water. There was actually a porcelain ledge above the water level. When flushing water would sweep away the solids. Another is I don’t know when the toilet flange and location from the wall standardize as we have now. If this is 12” center another reason to doubt its ca.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you google antique toilets you'll find actual ca 1890 toilets. Notice here the trap is in the front and four bolt holes. I'm sure the one above is a reproduction that got popular during the 1970's.

images

m8Bo-U2uQl6LJMvDFGruy6A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks