Answer: Do I need to add a vent for my shower (photo)?

Users who are viewing this thread

dsneuf

Reaction score
I have a question I know the pro's will be able to answer. I'm remodeling my bathroom. I've set up the DWV system and need to validate if I need to add a vent for the shower. I have a 3" vent behind toilet and a separate 1 1/2 inch vent off the vanity that terminate through a 4" roof vent. I was hoping I could use a wet vent for the shower (2").

Also, the lines are not permanently installed yet, so any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott
Cincinnati, Ohio

Attachments

• IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 191

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The line to the lav needs to be 2" if you intend to wet vent the shower though the lav.
The wet portion is 2", and above the traparm for the lav it can reduce to 1.5"

dsneuf

Reaction score
The line to the lav needs to be 2" if you intend to wet vent the shower though the lav.
The wet portion is 2", and above the traparm for the lav it can reduce to 1.5"

Great, thanks for the quick reply. So, I just have to determine which is easier. 1) Changing the lav trap and drain to 2" or adding a 2" t and tapping into the 3" main vent.

I have either option, right?

Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have as many options as you want as long as they are correct ones. :)

We can normally see several ways to do any of this. It's why hj mentions that a plumber onsite may see a better way to do things. Seeing the entire job, you sometimes have something that jumps out at you that says, Me! Me!

dsneuf

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks for the prompt replies.

I'm heading for the wet vent option by converting the lav piping below the trap arm to 2".

Scott

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks