Angle Stop at End of Threaded Stub

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
I have a toilet supply where an angle stop is threaded onto the end of a chrome stub coming out of the wall. I know of FIP angle stops, but those are usually one piece designs. It appears that this angle stop has an independent nut on it that would allow the stop to swivel to the correct position.

Can anyone confirm what kind of angle stop this is? See attached photo.

Capture22.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a toilet supply where an angle stop is threaded onto the end of a chrome stub coming out of the wall. I know of FIP angle stops, but those are usually one piece designs. It appears that this angle stop has an independent nut on it that would allow the stop to swivel to the correct position.

Can anyone confirm what kind of angle stop this is? See attached photo.
Due to the threads on the chrome plated nipple, I think it is just ordinary NPT thread. Probably 3/8, which is 0.675 inches OD, but could be 1/2, which is 0.840 od.

To unscrew, you can undo the flex line. Then hold the chrome nipple, and I would use a curved jaw locking pliers for that.

What I did is to just turn my valve not holding the nipple, and the nipple unscrewed inside the wall. That was my desired thing, because I wanted to be rid of my galvanized nipple, and put in brass. I have since bypassed that steel pipe in the wall, and use PEX to my valve.

Just turning the valve might not be a good idea if you did not know that you had steel pipe in the wall.

Are you just looking to have the output point some different direction? You could maybe tighten 1/4 turn. So what is your objective?

Last edited:

Atomic1

Reaction score
Doesn't it look like there's a nut on this angle stop that can be loosened? I have only ever seen solid one piece bodies on the FIP angle stops. If there's FIP angle stops with a nut that allow for adjustment without turning the entire valve body, I'd like to try and find one.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doesn't it look like there's a nut on this angle stop that can be loosened? I have only ever seen solid one piece bodies on the FIP angle stops. If there's FIP angle stops with a nut that allow for adjustment without turning the entire valve body, I'd like to try and find one.
Yes it looks like the nut isn't part of the stop as you say. never seen one like that. Good luck finding it , might be available where you live , take several picture maybe you can ID the brand. For me I'd replace it with whatever screws on

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's certainly a neck (lower diameter region) between the hex cross section at the end, and the round body of the valve. But I would think that neck may just be how that valve body was cast, not a sign of a threaded connection.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's certainly a neck (lower diameter region) between the hex cross section at the end, and the round body of the valve. But I would think that neck may just be how that valve body was cast, not a sign of a threaded connection.

Cheers, Wayne
noticed that too ! that's what gives appearance of it being a nut and not one piece,

Reach4

Reaction score
If that flat of the hex facing us in the photo is vertical (parallel to the flat on the body), it seems likely that hex is fixed to the body. If it were independently rotatable, it seems likely the hex would have come to rest at a different orientation.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks by the handle and the stamping that its a fairly new valve with the LF designation. A81953 looks like a model number.

I can only see the handle partially, but it doesn't look like brasscraft, legend, eastman, dahl or keeney.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd just replace it with whatever fits wouldn't spend 10 minutes looking around to identify it. but if you must know, take pictures and inquire all over town. or go online

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the OP's questions were (1) doesn't this look like a type of supply stop that would allow a degree of freedom between the threaded entry and the outlet and (2) wouldn't that (in general, not necessarily for replacing the one pictured) make installing a stop with the outlet pointed the way you want it easier?

To which my answers are (1) maybe it looks that way, but I doubt that is what it is and (2) sure it would, but as it probably doesn't exist, you just have to do it the usual way, which is that a threaded connection like that should have a range of at least one full rotation at which it both seals and won't split due to overtightening.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes looks like it might allow rotation but I've never seen one I guess checking supply houses might turn one up. Personally I wouldn't look but If someone finds it for him post the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks