Compression angle stop thread type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vdawg

Reaction score
Are the typical big box 1/2 compression angle stops (Brasscraft, Sharkbyte, etc.) NPT on the supply side or is that some type of special thread that only matches a compression nut of the same brand? Basically, can you normally thread one of these into an FIP female adapter if you remove the nut and ferrule? Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are the typical big box 1/2 compression angle stops (Brasscraft, Sharkbyte, etc.) NPT on the supply side or is that some type of special thread that only matches a compression nut of the same brand? Basically, can you normally thread one of these into an FIP female adapter if you remove the nut and ferrule? Thanks!
Yes and no.

Compression is itself its own thread. It will work on another brand of compression, but it can get a little squirrelly. It should work but the world isn't perfect there are variations even within a brand/batches, but it isn't much.

No compression won't thread onto npt

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
all I know is the nut that comes on a compression angle stop on the 1/2" copper side isn't always compatible I forget if its a bastard thread on some or what it is that causes the grief between manufactures. usually some cheap off brand junk

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A FIP female adapter is made for standard male threads.
Compression threads are totally different, even between manufacturers. That's why a sleeve puller is so nice to have with your tools. The tool will pull off an existing compression nut and sleeve, and then you can install the new stop onto the copper pipe. I just did one of these for a friend I hadn't seen in years from my home town. He had an old 5 gallon American Standard wall hung toilet from 1963 which needed the correct flapper so that it would flush. Someone had sold him a flapper for a 1.28 tank, which wasn't working at all. While I was at it, new tank bolts and tank to bowl washer. And then we turned off the water to the home and installed a new compression stop at the same time.

He also remembered being at Whistler Mountain with my family in 1969, eating at the lodge on top and having the prime minister of Canada come over and ask if he could use one of our chairs for his table. Pierre Trudeau
Now his son Justin is the prime minister.

blackcomb-2016-terry.jpg

My grandson Mason and me on the right in green. Just a few years ago at Blackcomb Whistler

Last edited:

Vdawg

Reaction score
Can you pull a compression ferrule from PEX-a? I'm basically going to replace a bunch of angle stops on PEX-a and want my new installation to have the ability to allow for replacement of the stop in the future without having to cut back the PEX any further.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks