American Standard Re-nu, Non-threaded - leaking behind press-fit interface?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Mr. Lahey, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Mr. Lahey

Mr. Lahey New Member

My 1951 Indiana ranch house has original shower fixtures. My valves were hard to turn off completely, so I figured I would replace the compression washers (size 0 rubber).

When I removed the hot side valve, the valve seat came out with the stem. The seat is not threaded, but rather press fit by the pressure of the bonnet as it is threaded down. The valve seat has its own "seat", which is a brass-on-brass cupped interface with the valve body. This "seat" is somewhat pitted (see photo).

After replacing the rubber washer and reassembling, the valve leaks/drips more than before, which I suspect is caused by the valve seat coming out and then not sealing properly again after reassembly.

I cleaned up the brass mating parts of the valve seat with a fine scotch pad, and I'm still dripping. Could I add some PTFE pipe compound that might seal up the pitted areas? Any other ideas?

This stuff seems way older than the parts and videos I'm seeing online, hence my visit to this site. Thanks for taking a look at my post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2020
  2. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

This is American Standard Re-nu. Search" American Standard 23-0900" The original seat was brass ground joint. They now come with an o-ring for better sealing.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Jeff H Young likes this.
  4. Mr. Lahey

Mr. Lahey New Member

Marlinman, I offer my sincere thanks for this information! I searched the part number and it seems like a fit to me! I will call the plumbing shop on Monday and get these ordered. My wife is going to be very happy if this solves our drip!

5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

problem solved !