Air in pipes??

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by laldybug, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. laldybug

    laldybug New Member

    Dec 26, 2005
    Everytime we flush the toilet it sounds like a train going thru the house. Can someone walk us thru the solution? It only started about a month ago (we are at our 2nd home, that's why we let it go so long, but now we are here for a week). Once the toilet is flushed it takes about 15 seconds before we hear the noise slowly get louder and louder (sounds like air in the pipes). If we turn on the water in the sink it helps somewhat. The sounds lasts for about 10 seconds and goes away. Can this be done by us or do we need a handy man or plumber? Waiting for you reply. Many thanks and happy holidays.
  2. Cass

    Cass Plumber

    Nov 12, 2005
    Are you on a well? If not a well you can try and replace the fill valve and supply tube. Get a Fluidmaster 400A and a flexable braded stainless steel supply tube. They can be had at any big box store.

    Only you will know if you can do it. We can walk you through it if you decide you want to try it, it's not to hard.

    My guess is that it only sounds like air as if it was air you would be getting it at other faucets.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. bird is da word

    bird is da word New Member

    Dec 15, 2005
    replace the float valve...the seal in the valve is bad.
  5. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Cass is right, more than likely it's the fill valve.

    Before you work on that, make sure the shutoff to the toilet is fully open.
    Sometimes these are turned down and the rubber will vibrate.

    A quieter valve than the Fluidmaster is the Quietfill by Korky.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  6. laldybug

    laldybug New Member

    Dec 26, 2005
    Air in pipes

    Thanks everyone for your reply.
    We are on a well - do you still recommend changing the valve? If so where is the valve that you are referring to? Would it be in the tank or in the basement? As you can see I know nothing about this subject.
    Have a great day and happy new Year to all!
  7. Mike Swearingen

    Mike Swearingen New Member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Independent Real Estate Broker
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
    The fill valve is inside the toilet tank.
    The Fluidmaster 400A comes with illustrated instructions on how to replace and adjust it. They only cost about $5-$6 bucks at a big box.
    Easy. Good luck!
Similar Threads: pipes
Forum Title Date
Toilet Forum discussions Soda Can in Pipes Aug 31, 2017
Toilet Forum discussions Toto legato & cast iron pipes Jun 1, 2016
Toilet Forum discussions Replacement toilet for older home with Cast Iron pipes Oct 11, 2015
Toilet Forum discussions Bathroom pipes flushing... but where? Apr 6, 2015
Toilet Forum discussions Best toilet for poorly designed pipes Feb 19, 2015

Share This Page