Air Handler

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm replacing an existing split heat pump and I would like a little knowledge BEFORE contractors come out to give estimates.

I know which condenser I want, but I'm confused regarding the air handler portion. Apparently there is not a matching set (Condenser 'A' gets paired with Air Handler 'A')

So lets say there are 4 Air Handler choices that can be paired with a Condenser, what would be some examples of how Air Handler 'A' would differ from 'B', 'C', 'D'? (efficiency, room size, etc?) What specs determine the correct unit for my needs?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Most air handlers are nearly identical if the total seer rating is 16 or less. When you get over Seer 16 units the air handler can be proprietary mainly with the control boards. The compressor control board communicates with the air handler control board. Sometimes the thermostat is proprietary with the matched pair and they can be quite expensive.

All brands have an air handler with their label on it. A contractor usuall does split cost between the two. If it's a Bryant, the air handler will be a Bryant. If the compressor unit is Rated at Seer 15, a new air handler adds 1 Seer. The air handler is sized by the compressor size. (BTU's)

Getting the most out of a new system is the air flow. Old installations the duct work is not large enough to get the most out of the efficiency rating. New units are designed for a slower air flow at a larger volume to extract the heat and humidity.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Air handlers can vary by cfm/ hp with psc & ecm motors. Evap coils by btu ratings with a certain condenser model and expansion device. Could be a orifice cap tube or expansion valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks