Change Heat Pump w/o Changing Air Handler

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveC1

Reaction score
We are in the process of changing out the rooftop Condenser and ducted Air Handler for my Heat Pump system that was originally installed in 1997. The contractor(thru a warranty company) is changing the 3 ton Carrier unit to a Lennox unit. I believe the air handler was by First Company and they are attempting to replace with an upgraded First Company(possibly the same design). The challenge is that First Company has a 12 week lead time.

Is it possible to change out the Heat Pump now(with the new refrigerant) and then change out the Air Handler when available? We have been down for 8 weeks and another 12 weeks is going to be a problem.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best Regards, Dave

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
1997 it might be R22, however, Carrier started to use R410a refrigerant in 1996, New units are now changing over since R410a is being banded by 2023 for new manufactured units. You need to know what refrigerant is used on the old unit and the new unit. If they are different, I would wait. Usually oil is sometimes different and pressures can be different, thereby the expansion valves may be set to a different pressure. The manufacture of the compressor part may void the warranty. Lennox, Carrier, Bryant, Rheem, Rudd, etc, the air handlers are probably all compatible. Did you ask this to the contractor, they know usually what is best.

BTW, just about all manufactures, except some Asian companies, use the COPLAND scroll compressors. Most parts are nearly identical including the air handlers. Just a different name on the cabinet. All new air handlers now use all aluminum tubing except at the line fittings as they will be copper so techs can braze the connections.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Is it possible to change out the Heat Pump now(with the new refrigerant) and then change out the Air Handler when available? We have been down for 8 weeks and another 12 weeks is going to be a problem.
Best Regards, Dave
What part of the heat pump is bad? At least in Florida, heat pumps/air handlers have electric elements for AUX heat. When the heat pump alone cannot keep up with heat load, the electric elements kick in. It's all controlled by the thermostat. If you have the AUX heat, and need heat only a little rewire at the thermostat or a program change will then activate the electric heat strip.

Fitter30

Reaction score
R22 air conditioners use mineral oil and R410A systems use synthetic oil. The only way to do it correctly is remove the expansion device ( has to be changed any way for the 410a) and flushed with the correct solvent. If lines are not being replaced they have to be flushed also.

DaveC1

Reaction score
R22 air conditioners use mineral oil and R410A systems use synthetic oil. The only way to do it correctly is remove the expansion device ( has to be changed any way for the 410a) and flushed with the correct solvent. If lines are not being replaced they have to be flushed also.
Thanks bro.... So it sounds like it could be done but not advisable.... Thanks again, Dave

DaveC1

Reaction score
What part of the heat pump is bad? At least in Florida, heat pumps/air handlers have electric elements for AUX heat. When the heat pump alone cannot keep up with heat load, the electric elements kick in. It's all controlled by the thermostat. If you have the AUX heat, and need heat only a little rewire at the thermostat or a program change will then activate the electric heat strip.
You bring up a good point. The electric heating element should still work as it is in the air handler....I will check that out. Thanks, Dave

DaveC1

Reaction score
1997 it might be R22, however, Carrier started to use R410a refrigerant in 1996, New units are now changing over since R410a is being banded by 2023 for new manufactured units. You need to know what refrigerant is used on the old unit and the new unit. If they are different, I would wait. Usually oil is sometimes different and pressures can be different, thereby the expansion valves may be set to a different pressure. The manufacture of the compressor part may void the warranty. Lennox, Carrier, Bryant, Rheem, Rudd, etc, the air handlers are probable all compatible. Did you ask this to the contractor, they know usually what is best.

BTW, just about all manufactures, except some Asian companies, use the COPLAND scroll compressors. Most parts are nearly identical including the air handlers. Just a different name on the cabinet. All new air handlers now use all aluminum tubing except at the line fittings as they will be copper so techs can braze the connections.

DaveC1

Reaction score
Thanks for your tips. Are you saying 410 is being banned in 2023? If so, which refrigerant should be used when we change out the condenser/air handler,? Thanks, Dave

DaveC1

Reaction score
1997 it might be R22, however, Carrier started to use R410a refrigerant in 1996, New units are now changing over since R410a is being banded by 2023 for new manufactured units. You need to know what refrigerant is used on the old unit and the new unit. If they are different, I would wait. Usually oil is sometimes different and pressures can be different, thereby the expansion valves may be set to a different pressure. The manufacture of the compressor part may void the warranty. Lennox, Carrier, Bryant, Rheem, Rudd, etc, the air handlers are probably all compatible. Did you ask this to the contractor, they know usually what is best.

Thanks Bro....are you saying that R410a goes away in 2023?....If I put in a new system, what refrigerant should I use? thanks again, Dave

DaveC1

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips...sounds like it is better to wait and make the changes all at the same time...best regards, Dave

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for your tips. Are you saying 410 is being banned in 2023? If so, which refrigerant should be used when we change out the condenser/air handler,? Thanks, Dave
Not sure myself. There is so much info out there that it gets confusing. Even refrigerant for auto's has changed to R1234yf from R134a. For R410a every one under the sun claims there refrigerant is compatible but until you can read the label on the unit will you know what refrigerant is used. Two things that pushes refrigerant changes. 1) The atmosphere potential damage and 2) SEER ratings increases. The new refrigerant will allow for a higher SEER ratings.

I checked Carrier and Trane web sites, Carrier still list R410a and Trane has no mention of it. It looks it will be R-454b.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks