Air bleed into a vent pipe? (wet vent question)

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
My question is related to a CPVC fire sprinkler system, but isn't directly related to the system operation.

I intend to install a bleed valve in the attic, at the highest point in the system. It would be very convenient for me to pipe this laterally into a lav or washer/shower vent 15 feet away, just prior to these vents penetrating the roof.

Although the fire system was designed and installed by a licensed installer, and inspected / signed off by the fire marshal, it doesn't include a way to bleed entrapped air from the high point in the system, as recommended by BlazeMaster and FlameGuard.

And of course it isn't just air -- it's air followed by spurts of water until there's a smooth and steady stream flowing.

My thought is to install a ball valve at the tippy-top of the CPVC riser, connected to gently sloping ½ copper (to encourage drain-off), into a wye that I would splice into the ductile iron vent. It would only get used when I have to refill the fire sprinker system after maintenance.

My hesitation isn't the usual "unknowingly sucking a trap dry" type of wet vent concern, but of any unforeseen problems with a non-air gapped connection of what's essentially an extension of the domestic water system directly to the DWV system. We're taking a 3-story installation in an attic, serving one or two fixtures, so there's about zero chance of a waste water backup up here. And despite this, I'm considering a second ball valve at the wye just to positively isolate the two systems.

The alternative is to run my line a bit farther, penetrate an exterior wall, and vent to the outside, but there's some ladder work, stucco drilling, and weatherizing I'd rather avoid.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
No a pro, but that sounds exactly like a cross connection. Preventing cross connections is the main point of the plumbing code.

I would go out through a wall, or use a short piece of hose into a 5 gallon bucket.

Speede541

Reaction score
No a pro, but that sounds exactly like a cross connection. Preventing cross connections is the main point of the plumbing code.

Agreed, yet due to intermittent use of this bleed function and isolation I wondering... kind of like hooking the garden hose to a "drain king" and shoving it down the waste pipe to clear a blockage. And is a fire sprinkler system even considered "domestic service" in this regard? (Yes, the fire system is isolated from the domestic supply via a check valve.)

One idea is to place an air gap between two valves. Just an idea - wait for one of the pro's to comment...

I'd prefer to avoid the air gap due to having to maintain a trap in the attic, and the potential for splashing due to the surging nature of the water mixed with air.

How about a quick disconnect and braided hose for the final 18" of my run? Normally disconnected from the vent, except when I need to use it. Seems overkill, a technicality an inspector will probably never lay eyes on. Is this a rational code-complaint solution.

(You can see I'm really resistant to dumping it through my outside wall!)

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I'd prefer to avoid the air gap due to having to maintain a trap in the attic, and the potential for splashing due to the surging nature of the water mixed with air.

How about a quick disconnect and braided hose for the final 18" of my run? Normally disconnected from the vent, except when I need to use it. Seems overkill, a technicality an inspector will probably never lay eyes on. Is this a rational code-complaint solution.
I was thinking that the valve after the air gap would preclude the need for a trap.

As for being to code, both solutions are subject to operator error in an area accessible to non-trained personnel, so maybe not. Hopefully, one of the pros will chime in soon...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks