Advice on well house plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
3 HP is a lot for a house. I suspect you have maybe a 10 gpm 3 hp pump. A 10 gpm 1.5 hp or a 7 gpm 1 hp pump would have been a better choice for a house, but keep using this while it is working.

I would replace the start capacitor in advance, because those have limited life. 10 years might be a good interval. It may be hard to get quickly, but they can be cheap if it is not urgent. They are non-polarized electrolytic capacitors, if that means anything to you.

freemarmoset

Reaction score
3 HP is a lot for a house. I suspect you have maybe a 10 gpm 3 hp pump. A 10 gpm 1.5 hp or a 7 gpm 1 hp pump would have been a better choice for a house.

Yeah, I can't really guess at the reasoning. Along with the house, it is supplying two barns and several hydrants on our 15 acres. Maybe the original owners had some other needs at some time? The house is the primary consumer though, and filling livestock tanks and watering in a greenhouse is intermittent. There are very limited times there'd be water on everywhere at once.

but keep using this while it is working.

That's the plan now. At any rate the bladder in the current tank is shot (symptom or cause of the switch problem I don't know) so I'll be getting a new tank. So now thinking about whether to stick with the 80gal one that's worked to this point, or going larger.

I would replace the start capacitor in advance, because those have limited life. 10 years might be a good interval. It may be hard to get quickly, but they can be cheap if it is not urgent. They are non-polarized electrolytic capacitors, if that means anything to you.

It doesn't, but I appreciate the tip and will endeavor to learn more :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The house is the primary consumer though, and filling livestock tanks and watering in a greenhouse is intermittent. There are very limited times there'd be water on everywhere at once.

Because of all the varied uses for water you need a Cycle Stop Valve worse than many people. But when the pump is way too big and builds more pressure than a CSV can handle, use an even larger pressure tank to reduce the cycling as best as you can.

freemarmoset

Reaction score
As usual, I've learned a ton on a project with the help of this forum; thanks! I did end up finding the date code on the control box (08G19), so 2008 from what I understand, but never was able to track down who installed it. I was able to source a 119gal tank locally, so I'm going to go with that for as long as this pump lives, and rework the system when it becomes necessary.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks