Advice on submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

VTMBZ

Reaction score
My sugarhouse is unheated but I need to have running water in it during syrup making season in the early spring. I have a shallow (10’) well with a heavy duty submersible pump, capacitor start 220v. But since the building is unheated I dont want to use a pressure tank, as that would freeze in this northern climate. I just throw the disconnect on when I need water.

THe problem is that the pressure is way too much for practical use. I installed an outside faucet to relieve some of the pressure, but its still way too much water at once. I want to put a ball valve in the supply line from the well and throttle it back to about 20psi. How much can I throttle that pump back before I ruin it?

In use I would probably never use it more than ten minutes at a time in throttle position: mostly just to flood the floor and for hand washing. Will I overheat the pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pressure has nothing to do with it. You can throttle that pump back to 1 GPM without hurting it at all. You can use a CSV1A without a pressure tank to control the pressure. Attaching a little 1/2" pressure relief valve to the CSV1A would make it a fool proof and safe system. The CSV would regulate the pressure to 20-30 PSI as needed, (adjustable between 15 and 150 PSI). Then the PRV would dump 1 GPM if someone accidentally closed the hose without turning off the pump. Then you would have 20-30 PSI like you want, no matter how much or how little water you are letting out of the hose.
csv1a.jpg

VTMBZ

Reaction score
Thanks f or the helpful reply. I looked up a youtube video and I think I get this: it just closes the supply, right?
Would this have to be protected from freezing? (It gets pretty frosty here!).

VTMBZ

Reaction score
Doing more research thanks to being pointed in the right direction: what are the specs
To look for on a prv to get to 1gpm?

I’m thinking that a prv installed just after the pump and submerged in the well will allow me to install a ball valve under the sink safely without burning up the pump. Remember, I’m using this three weeks a year and only intermittently.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A regular pressure reducing valve will completely close and burn up your pump. The CSV works like a pressure reducing valve except that it cannot close enough to melt down the pump. The CSV working in combination with a little pressure relief valve will make sure you pump never gets below 1 GPM flow, and the pump will be safe.

We have a CSV that will fit in the well if that is what you want, model CSV12550-1. But you could just install a CSV1A above ground, as it will not freeze any quicker than the pipe itself.

Installing a brass bleeder orifice about 5' below the surface will allow the pipe and system to drain automatically. When you turn power off to the pump and open a faucet, the bleeder will drain everything in the system down to 5' below surface automatically.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Why don’t you buy a 250 gallon plastic tank, put it in your truck, and fill it up before you leave for the sugar shack? Hose spigot on the tank to feed a sink in the shack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks