Advice on leaking copper toilet pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

nigma444

Reaction score
I have a leak in a copper line from the toilet to the main stack. The toilet elbow has a copper run of about two feet connecting to the main stack.

I was looking into the Fernco clamps from copper to PVC, but I'm wondering if I can use two of them, one on both ends -- the toilet elbow end and the connection to the main stack?

Basically, cut out all of the copper pipe except enough to connect the clamps on both ends, then have PVC in the middle. Will that cause any issues with clogging or have any potential for leaking?

I'd rather not have to replace the whole toilet flange and line if I can just get away with a short run of PVC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Josh

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That would work, though I have had to replace the copper lines to a toilet because of pipe corrosion caused by the urine from the toilet. They were not flushing at night.

pipe_chlorine.jpg

Last edited:

nigma444

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! That's exactly what my problem is... a split in the lower middle of the pipe.

So, would you recommend just replacing the whole run from the main stack to the toilet with all PVC then instead of messing with the clamps?

I'd imagine the elbow and main stack tee fitting are fine since they're so much heavier weight, but I'm no expert. Is there any chance of those +-2" lengths of copper that'd be clamped in properly leaking over time from further corrosion?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet only line I would change. Where the other lines come in like the tub or shower, they may be fine because you have more water washing and diluting there.
I have also had issues on kitchen lines. They tend to go bad sooner too.

nigma444

Reaction score
The way my lines are set up, the toilet is completely separate running into the main vertical stack anyway. My space below is also completely finished, so I'm trying not to disturb anything I don't have to. I attached a simple drawing showing you what my setup looks like (more or less), if it helps.

Still curious if I should replace EVERYTHING from the stack to the toilet (possibly including the original tee), or if just the copper stretch between the elbow and tee would be good enough with the Fernco clamps.

Thx again for the replies!

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 146
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks