Advice needed to connect burner tube with improper fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

wally774

Reaction score
I'm a DYI'r and I replaced the thermocouple in an A.O. Smith model GCVL 40 100 but am having problems reconnecting the burner tube to the control valve. The flare nut that secures the connection between the burner tube and the control will not grip the threads well enough to make a secure connection. I think the problem is that the control does not sit directly above burner tube, so the burner tube enters the valve at a slight angle. This is how it was originally installed 12 years ago, but when trying to re-assemble it, the flare nut won't grip. I can hand tighten it somewhat, but if I tug downward it pulls loose. What are my options to make a safe, secure connection? Thanks in advance for advice.

Wally

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would guess without seeing what you have that it's misthreaded.
Don't operate the water heater like this.

The gas valve and thread are made of soft metal, one wrong move and they are destroyed.

If you want to keep this WH, you might have to replace the gas valve. However, at 12 years old, it might be more economical to get a new WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks