odor after cleaning burner on 40 gal A.O. Smith promax

Users who are viewing this thread

herchmer

Reaction score
Hi there,

First - I'm definitely not a plumber but consider myself handy enough to manage some of the repairs my hot water heater required (apologies to the professionals given that is like telling your Doctor you diagnosed an illness with the help of Dr. Google).

Nevertheless, this started with a leaking T&P valve which after I replaced continued to leak. Discovered the expansion tank had no pressure so replaced that as well.
Decided during all of this that I would clean the burner as well. Had a little bit of trouble with the gas tube nut but managed to remove without putting excessive pressure on the main control unit.
Removed and cleaned the burner which was actually surprisingly clean considering it's 18 years old and never serviced.
After getting it all back together it fired up first try. I kept the door leading to my garage open and another door upstairs open in an effort to 'draft' in some fresh air (just seemed to make sense but I'm sure not necessary).

Two things caused a bit of concern.
1. it initially made an odd sort of sputtering sound which stopped after a few min
2. definitely emitted an odor - not strong and not like gas but given it's a gas heater you start second guessing yourself. I did "soap up" the connections to ensure nothing was leaking and no leaks were present).
Usually when you smell gas you know it immediately but that wasn't the case here. It almost seemed like it had more of a mineral smell but not like sulfer if that makes any sense.

I have to assume both are simply the result of the burner burning off any of dislodged debris / rust that remained on the pan but again - want to ask the experts (This forum is incredibly informative by the way).

Sorry for the very long post and thanks in advance for any insight.

herchmer

Reaction score
Also - just apologizing in advance for using the term "hot water heater" - just ingrained in my hoosier brain. Will refer to it as a "water heater" next time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks