Adding storage tank, will this work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Theeplaymaker

Reaction score
So I posted about this before and thiibk I have everything figured out. Before I get started I wanted to make sure this will work and ask for any advice on improving it. This will all be in a water closet in my basement that's about 50-65 sqft. I will only be using 1 well at a time, but since they are both low yield I want the option for a backup and easy switch. I have one cycle sensor for whichever well pump is running.

My main questions/concerns:
1. Is it okay to put the sediment filter right off the well pump and dump into the storage tank like I have it?
2. Is it okay to run the wells wide open into a tank like this? Can I throttle them back with the valve?
3. Do I need the 1" the whole way or is it overkill?
4. Will I have any issues with build up in the storage tank? Like I said it's semi conditioned and dark in the well room off my basement.

Thanks for any help and I hope I added enough info to help me sort this out.

http://i.imgur.com/hEpbYQL.jpg

Attachments

• 20170422_110535.jpg
    20170422_110535.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 460

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. Usually not. What if the filter clogs and you don't notice? There appears to be an exception for the Lakos Sandmaster: http://www.lakos.com/groundwater.htm You would want a relief valve before even that I think.
  2. Yes. yes, which you might do if that prevents you from picking up sediment. I hope you are using 1/2 HP pumps underground.
  3. 3/4 would be big enough for filling the atmospheric tank.
  4. It depends.
You probably want to rename that room to utility closet or water room etc. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/water closet

Theeplaymaker

Reaction score
That makes sense with the sediment filter.

I believe the one pump is a 7 gpm and the other is 5 gpm, can't remember which is a 1/2 and which is the 3/4. Both are 300-350' deep.

This room has been to familiar to me so I'm trying to do it right once and for all.

Theeplaymaker

Reaction score
Also, does 3/4 pipe for everything work? The pipe from the wells is 1" so that'll be filling the reservoir. I only have a kitchen sink, washer, dish washer and 1 full bathroom. The other bathroom is a toilet on the wall in the basement with no water line yet.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, does 3/4 pipe for everything work? The pipe from the wells is 1" so that'll be filling the reservoir. I only have a kitchen sink, washer, dish washer and 1 full bathroom. The other bathroom is a toilet on the wall in the basement with no water line yet.
The piping after the pressure tank is different, but for your load, I think 3/4 for shared and 1/2 for individual branches would be fine... Even PEX, which is smaller diameter. The piping from the pump to the pressure tank should be at least 1 inch I think. I am not a plumber. I am replacing galvanized with F1960 PEX with that sizing.

Consider a 1/2 HP 10 to 12 GPM submersible horizontally in the atmospheric tank rather than the jet pump. No priming. More efficient. You would set the pressure switch to 40/60 or 50/70. With such a system, I would go with a 62 gallon pressure tank unless you use a CSV.

Your plan does not show a provision for iron treatment. Don't you have iron, or will you have the softener do that? What is your pH, iron, manganese, and arsenic? Do you have a sulfur smell?

Last edited:

Theeplaymaker

Reaction score
Okay thanks for your help.

To be honest, I didn't get my water tested but I've got year old fixtures and tub that are covered in lime scale. Also i cannot wash my cars without white staining. I rarely ever notice iron stains. I do plan on testing it though.

I just installed a 52 gallon pressure tank last year. I don't know enough about my well pipes running down the shaft to feel comfortable with the csv.

I already have a 1/2 hp jet pump that I bought but could explore submersible options I suppose. How much more efficient are we talking?

Reach4

Reaction score
I already have a 1/2 hp jet pump that I bought but could explore submersible options I suppose. How much more efficient are we talking?
A 1/2 HP submersible will give roughly twice as much water as the 1/2 HP jet for the same power. However you probably don't need twice as much water, so the jet will be fine. You could probably set the pressure higher with the submersible, but you probably don't need the extra pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I just installed a 52 gallon pressure tank last year. I don't know enough about my well pipes running down the shaft to feel comfortable with the csv.

Any pipe that can handle a pump at 300-350' will not have any problem with the slightly higher pressure from a CSV. However, you don't need a CSV on the low producing well pumps. They just pump a set rate to the storage tank. The CSV needs to go on the jet or submersible coming out of the storage tank. And you can use a CSV with the 52 gallon pressure tank. A 52 gallon pressure tank only holds 15 gallons of water, so cycling on/off can still be an issue without a CSV. With a 52 gallon tank (15 gallon draw), when using a 3 GPM shower, you will just be 5 minutes into a shower with pressure decreasing from 60 to 40, before the pump comes on and the CSV starts delivering a strong constant 55 PSI for the rest of the shower. There is nothing wrong with using a CSV and a larger tank. But with a smaller tank you don't have to wait 5 minutes to see constant pressure.

Theeplaymaker

Reaction score
Thanks valveman, good to know about the csv. Not sure i'll get one right away but good to know it'll work still. Makes sense what your saying about the pressure tank as well.

I got most of the fittings/valves I think ill need today to do this install. I re-drew my layout to put the sediment filter post pressure tank.

Thanks again for your help, guys. Cleared up my thinking a good bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks