Adding Storage Tank to Well

Users who are viewing this thread

nmer13

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

We moved into a house about a month ago and after lots of back and forth and work, we finally got the well working "right". We KNOW we will need to have a new well dug eventually, but for now - we received a 1075 gallon water tank as a housewarming gift. We filled it at our shop and moved it to the house.

We just are unsure of what to do from here to make sure that it is set up correctly. Do we need to add a submersible pump to the tank? How many float valves do we need? We added some chlorine to the water but is there something we can do to prevent it from growing bacteria?

Anyone have some kind of diagram or video for reference?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you add cistern to some of your searches in the search box above.

1. Freezing not a problem?
  2. This tank is on wheels?
  3. Covering the tank with a lightproof cover will help prevent algae growth.
  4. I suggest getting a low-range chlorine measuring method to tell you when you need to add chlorine bleach.
  5. Is this drinking water?

nmer13

Reaction score
I suggest you add cistern to some of your searches in the search box above.

1. Freezing not a problem?
  2. This tank is on wheels?
  3. Covering the tank with a lightproof cover will help prevent algae growth.
  4. I suggest getting a low-range chlorine measuring method to tell you when you need to add chlorine bleach.
  5. Is this drinking water?

I did try and search, but noticed most of those had wells with a submersible pump so I wasnt sure if they would have a different hook up system.

Freezing shouldnt be an issue. We live in east texas and while it does get cold, it doesnt get to freezing temps.
Tank is not on wheels. Filled it while it sat on our trailer.
Something like pool water testing kits?
It will be house water. Ideally id like to be able to use it to drink/cook with, but we know we may need to have a water treatment system installed prior to that being a possibility.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tank is not on wheels. Filled it while it sat on our trailer.
So you offloaded the tank from the trailer. A tanker truck will probably drive out to refill.

Pool water testing kit is probably good for that.
For low range testing, LAMOTTE 2963LR-G .25 ppm to 10 ppm chlorine
test sensitity, looks good. 2979 is 0 to 5 ppm chlorine. (zoro)
http://www.lamotte.com/en/drinking-water/test-strips/2963lr-g.html
https://www.zoro.com/search?q=LAMOTTE chlorine (many)

https://www.hach.com/chlorinetestkits CN-66F looks good. Colorometer makes it easier to read. There are going to be good alternatives. Low-range strips are going to be good enough for this job I think, and are cheaper.

You would want from 4 to 1 ppm probably. I think you want to test for free chlorine.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here are drawings with a submersible and one with a jet pump.
LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks