Adding sink drain to washer drain without going thru studs

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been researching this and have not seen an exact scenario but I am hoping that I have come to the correct answers. If someone can review my potential install that would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to add a utility sink drain to my existing washer drain plumbing. I have an existing 2 inch drain coming out of the slab and a santee going to a 2inch washer drain and trap to the right, the vent going up is a 1.5 inch with a cleanout installed (plug is facing out of the wall). I am trying to replace the santee with a double fixture tee and add a 2 inch sink drain going to the left.

My issue is that I do not want to cut through the 3 studs and dryer vent that would be in the way as this is under the stairs anyway. Can I have the sink drain come out and go around the studs and then thru the drywall for the sink trap as shown in EX 3 (my current situation) and EX1 (an example I found online)? Will this cause any drainage issues?

Also, the 2inch sink drain arm will be about almost 4 feet in length, will that cause any issues considering the washer drain arm is much much shorter, about 1 foot maybe? As shows in EX 2?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Attachments

• EX3.jpg
    EX3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 173
  • EX2.jpg
    EX2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 173
  • EX1.jpg
    EX1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 171

Reach4

Reaction score
Would this work for you?
index.php

Alternatively, you could put in a laundry tub, be rid of the standpipe, and put the washer drainage into the laundry tub.

The limitation is that IPC now wants 3 inch drain for a standpipe and laundry tub combined in the method you proposed.

Reaction score
Would this work for you?
index.php

Alternatively, you could put in a laundry tub, be rid of the standpipe, and put the washer drainage into the laundry tub.

The limitation is that IPC now wants 3 inch drain for a standpipe and laundry tub combined in the method you proposed.

Thanks for the reply. If I want to include a p trap for the sink which will be at the left end of the red line in EX2, will I still need a 3 inch drain? This is also considering I will use a double fixture tee between the sink drain and the washer drain.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you under the IPC or the UPC? If IPC, and you have two traps, one of which is for a laundry standpipe, then the combined drain needs to be a 3" drain.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks