Adding electrical outlet in pump house

Users who are viewing this thread

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
I’m wanting to add an electrical outlet in my well pump house. The well pump is 220v and fed from 30amp breaker in the house. Wire is 10/3.
Should I bring wire from house into a junction box, then tie one “hot” leg,neutral,and ground to electrical outlet, AS WELL AS, tying into well pump as it is wired now???
Or, could I just come off the contacts from the well pump for the electrical outlet??
Whichever would be safest and best for the well pump.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to put in a small sub panel in the pump house. The sub panel will not have a main breaker. Feed the breaker panel with the 30 amp line from the house. Put a 25 amp 2-pole breaker in for the well pump. Put in one (or two side-by-side) 15 amp 1-pole breakers into the panel, and feed 120 volt loads. Maybe add a lighting fixture while you are at it.

The outlets should be GFCI.

If I followed previous posts correctly, you are supposed to add a ground rod for the ground in addition to the ground wire from the house. I am not an electrician.

Last edited:

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
You want to put in a small sub panel in the pump house. The sub panel will not have a main breaker. Feed the breaker panel with the 30 amp line from the house. Put a 25 amp 2-pole breaker in for the well pump. Put in one (or two side-by-side) 15 amp 3-pole breakers into the panel, and feed 120 volt loads. Maybe add a lighting fixture while you are at it.

The outlets should be GFCI.

If I followed previous posts correctly, you are supposed to add a ground rod for the ground in addition to the ground wire from the house. I am not an electrician.
That’s an even better plan. Room to add on more loads if needed. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks