220 to 110 European outlet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Spindy

Reaction score
The previous owners had a 220 European outlet in the kitchen. They ran an aluminum service entrance cable and then used a 12/2 wire for the outlet.

I removed the double pole breaker and installed 2 twenty amp breaker to both hot wires. I would like to add two dedicated lines for a freezer and wine fridge.

My question is: can I share the neutral and ground wire to make this happen? I will use 12/2 wire in junction box.

Thank you!

Attachments

• received_1632566610543449.jpeg
    received_1632566610543449.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 82

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to be more specific. You can not use a cable with uninsulated neutral on a branch circuit, if that's
what you mean by "service entrance cable". Also, multiwire branch circuits (i.e. with shared neutral) are
certainly allowed, but it would be better to use a double-pole 20A breaker for it, because you will have
to add handle tie if you use 2 single-pole 20A breakers.

Grounds are always shared - all ground wires in a box are required to be joined together, no matter how
many different circuits are involved.

Fitter30

Reaction score
No the neutral could have the potential of 40 amps on it. Would also use aluminum wire paste on the wires and connectors made for them.

Paul Spindy

Reaction score
I am using single pole because I want 2/ 110 outlets. The picture above shows the junction box spliced in attic with 2 hot wires attached to the two new single pole breakers. I will then attach the 12/2 wirers from the insulated hot and installed neutral and ground. Then another 12 / 2 wire to the other hot and share the neutral and ground. I hope this is enough information. Thank you again.

Attachments

• received_1632566610543449.jpeg
    received_1632566610543449.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 74

Paul Spindy

Reaction score
This is where I am now. This circuit is working, but can I attach the 2 nd hot and still be safe and follow code.

Attachments

• received_236766578838978.jpeg
    received_236766578838978.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 76

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere was no reason to replace the existing CB. With a multi-wire branched circuit, you MUST turn both circuits off together. For your two 120vac circuits, you'd tie each one's neutral together, and one of the hot leads to each branch.

120vac is 'fake'...what you have coming in from the pole is 240vac with a centertap on the secondary of the transformer that makes the circuit function as 120vac. By tapping off the center of the secondary coil, from L1 and L2 to neutral, each functions as 120vac. Because the phase from one end of the secondary coil to the other are out of phase, say it was a 20A, dual=-pole breaker, instead of the neutral carrying a maximum of 20+20A, if the load was identical on each leg, it would be 20-20, or at the least, zero, or 20 if only one leg was in use.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks