Adding an outdoor sub panel - wire size, breaker size, ground rod???

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
Our property is 2 acres. I want to ad a small sub-panel near the front of the property (150 ft from load center) so I can run 3 - 20 amp circuits in order to have access to power in a number of spots for various things (a gate transformer, low voltage lighting, Christmas lights and power when doing odd jobs). I want them 20 amp circuit so I can run my small wire feed welder if/when needed out front (rarely). Each circuit will likely only have one outlet on it.

My idea is to use a 30 amp 220 breaker to supply the sub-panel (pulling 4 #8 wires) and then run my 3 120v circuits from there. These outlets would be used rarely and, other than my welder, drawing fairly low power. I am fine if I am welding and someone helping me uses a drill and it throws the breaker at the main panel. Would this be approach be safe and acceptable or am I missing something? The distance from the supply panel to the sub is about 150' and the distance from the sub-panel to the outlets would be about 100' each. I calculated that I would need #8 wire for all of the circuits (feed and branch). One reason I am going this route is that I have quite a bit of the#8 wire I would need left over from another project and would like to use it as opposed to having to buy #6 to for a 40 or 50 amp panel.

Also, I have done a lot of reading and seem to get conflicting information. Would I need a ground rod at this outdoor panel (on a pole, not attached to a building)? I gather I would not but am not sure.

I came up with these wire sizes using an online wire size calculator. Since I will be bringing in 2 hots, a common and a ground, I used the source voltage as 240 which allows for smaller wire. From there I will run my 120 v circuits using 120 as my source voltage to calculate those wire sizes. Do my wires size calculations look to be correct?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to have my plan fairly clear (and safe) before I start digging.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.askmediy.com/electrical-wire-size-calculator/ leads me to think that your calculations are OK.

I think your 120 volt outlets should be GFCI-protected.

I think you could also put in a 240 volt outlet in case you get a new welder.

I don't know if you need the extra grounding rod or not. I am not an electrician.

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Reach4. I do plan to use GFI plugs on all of the circuits and adding a 240v outlet is a very good idea. I just may do that!

If anyone has any insight on the grounding rod it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stuff

Reaction score
Since this is a feeder the NEC only says you need a grounding electrode (grounding rods) if it is a structure or building. You might have local rules that override this so check with your building office.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks