Acceptable drain pipe configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

lnjustin

Reaction score
Is this ok to do? It's for a half-bath vanity sink. The wall connection is RIGHT above the bottom of the vanity cabinet, so if I can plumb everything above the bottom of the vanity cabinet, I can avoid cutting through it.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 221

lnjustin

Reaction score
low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

You can't just raise the p-trap height without causing siphoning of the p-trap.

lav-drain-side.jpg

The vent comes from the top of the trap arm, not below it.
Ok thanks. Any alternative configuration that will work then? Or is the only option to cut into the vanity cabinet bottom so I can “go downward” with the drain pipe?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you add an AAV after the trap, that would also work. Breaking the siphon on the drain prevents sewer gas from entering the home. Nobody wants to brush their teeth above a smelly septic smell as you're getting ready for work.
Sometimes people raise the drain in the wall too.

lnjustin

Reaction score
So, just to be clear then, this would work? Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 233
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks