ABS to PVC residential joint connections Ontario Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

THESHACK

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I was just watching a Youtube video from a respected plumber and he mentioned in passing that you are only allowed one ABS to PVC connection in a residential plumbing system. When I read the OBC it does not specifically say this based on my interpretation. Not sure why only one would be allowed other than maybe the thinking is the entire house portion would be lets say ABS and the sewer connection might be PVC. I'm in the process of building a house on piers. The main drain is currently 4" PVC and runs the length of the house (35') just below the floor joists adjacent the central support beam. All the branch runs are 2" and 3"ABS connected to the PVC with primer and transition cement. There are 7 branches.

Does any body know if this is OK? Is there a limit?

I'm using ABS inside because water flow is more muted due to it's thicker walls and I find ABS easier to work with. I'm running 4"PVC outside because it's much less expensive than 4" ABS, it's thinner and therefore can be enclosed in a smaller chase and heat transfer is easier (the chase will be insulated and heated)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My inspectors don't like transition glue for ABS to PVC.
They do let us to shielded couplings between the two materials. Of course, codes and inspectors change and have various ways of looking at things too.
Where I'm at, most homes are ABS, though some PVC. The sewer lines we connect to are all PVC.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm using ABS inside because water flow is more muted due to it's thicker walls and I find ABS easier to work with.
Schedule 40 pvc and abs are the same size. Schedule 40 foamcore pvc is lighter than solid pvc, and it may not block the sound as well. ABS in the stores today are only foamcore.

Those who want a stronger sewer line can use schedule 40 rather than the cheaper thinner stuff. I think solid schedule 40 would be better if a truck passes over. You intend to not have the concrete truck drive over the pipe, but stuff happens. I am not a plumber. Any of the plastics are better than clay or Orangeburg.

Attachments

• img_pipe_sound3.jpg
    img_pipe_sound3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 163

THESHACK

Reaction score
Reach4 - haha - my "plastic" 4" pipe is pooched if a truck runs over thin or thick PVC or even foam core ABS. Installed no issues as the run to the septic is nowhere near any vehicle traffic. At -20C a good kick to thin walled PVC with a steel toe might get it to crack as well but I hope not to screw up enough so as to not lose my temper and let loose on the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4 - haha - my "plastic" 4" pipe is pooched if a truck runs over thin or thick PVC or even foam core ABS. Installed no issues as the run to the septic is nowhere near any vehicle traffic.
Make the pumper truck use the long hose.;)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't do much sewer runs but in past we ran sch 40 abs same as in the house a lot of guys run thin wall PVC It might be sdr 35 don't remember but sch 40 even foam core is robust compared to the thin stuff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks