A toilet in the shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnchevelle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here but have looked at this site many times to help me figure out my problems. I can't thank enough for the information everyone provides. So here's my mission: trying to convert an old pantry off of kitchen into a bath/shower combo. The whole room will be waterproofed and all tile except for ceiling.

I'm a tile guy so that part is easy but plumbing is another story. Can someone check this mock up and see if it will work? I believe it will, but am unsure if I went the easiest route or am way off on something.

There is a floor drain for shower, a toilet and on the stack wall a corner sink. I ran 2" vent all the way up chase which has sink drain then turn into wet vent for shower and toilet before heading back into stack. Here are few pictures let me know what you think.

Thanks.
20190717_182600.jpg
20190717_182436.jpg 20190717_182406.jpg
20190717_182306.jpg
20190717_182113.jpg
20190717_182045.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your wet venting works.
Do you plan on putting a toilet "in" the shower? How would you seal that. The shower has a liner that clamps into the drain, but the toilet doesn't have that.

Mnchevelle

Reaction score
Thanks for fast reply. Well that's awesome news for plumbing! Yes I put down a waterproof membrane over the entire floor that basically gets sealed to toilet flange. Also I use liquid waterproof to seal last layer of sandmix for extra protection kinda a double deal incase one fails. This is a small bath about 4x4 area so the whole thing is pitched to shower drain. The toilet gets leveled with shims and super silicone caulked around bottom. Haven't had a call back yet on any I have done. Hopefully all this makes sense.
Thanks again,
Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two layers of waterproofing are a problem waiting to happen. the 'more is better' philosophy doesn't always work. A surface waterproofing membrane MIGHT work, but not one conventional plus waterproofing on top. If the conventional liner is installed properly, there are weep holes now beneath the top layer of waterproofing. If that layer gets wet, with two layers, it cannot dry out. The surface applied (liquid?) membrane doesn't like moisture beneath it. Then again, I may be misunderstanding what you've got there.

The TCNA (Tile Council of North America) is the bible on tiling a shower. Many different methods, none match yours and none call for two layers of waterproofing. I think, they know something.

If you go to a handicapped facility, it's not uncommon to have a toilet in a shower, so there are ways to build one that won't leak. They tend to use a sheet membrane and not a conventional liner with a second layer of waterproofing on top. Sometime like Kerdi or one of the Noble membranes, or maybe Hydroban Sheet (not the liquid) could work. I'm not a fan of liquid applied waterproofing in a shower. While it can work, it really needs to be done with two coats, each between the min/max wet thickness, with no voids, pinholes, or runs to work right. That's harder to do than you might think. Too little, or too much, and it doesn't work properly. A pinhole, it does not work right. Moisture beneath, it doesn't work right (tends to delaminate).

Last edited:

Mnchevelle

Reaction score
Jadnashua
Two layers of waterproofing are a problem waiting to happen. the 'more is better' philosophy doesn't always work. A surface waterproofing membrane MIGHT work, but not one conventional plus waterproofing on top. If the conventional liner is installed properly, there are weep holes now beneath the top layer of waterproofing. If that layer gets wet, with two layers, it cannot dry out. The surface applied (liquid?) membrane doesn't like moisture beneath it. Then again, I may be misunderstanding what you've got there.

The TCNA (Tile Council of North America) is the bible on tiling a shower. Many different methods, none match yours and none call for two layers of waterproofing. I think, they know something.

If you go to a handicapped facility, it's not uncommon to have a toilet in a shower, so there are ways to build one that won't leak. They tend to use a sheet membrane and not a conventional liner with a second layer of waterproofing on top. Sometime like Kerdi or one of the Noble membranes, or maybe Hydroban Sheet (not the liquid) could work. I'm not a fan of liquid applied waterproofing in a shower. While it can work, it really needs to be done with two coats, each between the min/max wet thickness, with no voids, pinholes, or runs to work right. That's harder to do than you might think. Too little, or too much, and it doesn't work properly. A pinhole, it does not work right. Moisture beneath, it doesn't work right (tends to delaminate).

Yes you are correct I would suspect two layers of waterproofing causing a problem depending on what is between them. For me I put rubber membrane down first on subfloor as a backup if my second layer fails for some reason. Just to be on safe side to not cause water damage underneath to lower level. This case had an unfinished basement so not such a big deal here. I know water is not getting between rubber membrane and wood subfloor.

As for the second layer I use a product called Prova-mat that is adhered in thinset and has all the waterproofing corners to go with it. This layer helps with stress cracks and waterproofs all in one. The seams of it also get a liquid waterproof applied over to just to make sure its water tight. I also use the liquid on the walls of cement board as it's easier to apply on certain areas. Almost all vertical surfaces are liquid membrane all horizontal surfaces are prova-mat membrane and all corners are prova-mat.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Mnchevelle

Reaction score
Here was first layer with rubber membrane. I stretch these over plumbing of toilet and water line which have silicone on both sides under and above membrane.
20190801_130631.jpg 20190801_130642.jpg

Mnchevelle

Reaction score
20190813_101955.jpg Getting closer. Under the toilet is siliconed around flange then toilet set, leveled and siliconed to floor. This bath as being small has about a 1- 1 3/4" pitch from floor drain to walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks