A helper cut the cement board too short - please check pic and advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a small hole as far as structurally but you need something secure for backing of the membrane as well I'm sure there is worse out there but I don't want leaks, mold, or problems later

Curiousv

Reaction score
the board being a half inch above the deck I don't see as a problem, but above the flange makes no sense.
As you can see in the funny papers it shows the tile an 1/8th off the tub and board looks according to my eyeball scale to be 3/8 above tub at least 5/16s the eye don't lye
Ok to conclude - 1/8" gap between tub and tile and 1/2" at least gap between tub and board correct? so both board and tile should not be touching the tub. (of course board will covering/overlapping the tub flange - flange height is 1")

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok to conclude - 1/8" gap between tub and tile and 1/2" at least gap between tub and board correct?
Negative on 1/2" gap between tub deck and board. You want any screws through the flange covered. Basically assume the entire volume directly below the board will get wet. I'd shoot for 1/8" there as well, but 1/4" is fine.

Cheers, Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming the manufacturer's diagram is somewhat to scale, they show an 1/8" gap on the tile, and about a 1/4" gap beneath the cbu to the tub deck...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks