9 month old well puts out muddy water

Users who are viewing this thread

Angela L Higgins

Reaction score
Our shallow water well was drilled last November. Since then if it rains or even if the well is not used a few days we get dirt red water coming through. We have called the drillers Everytime and told them and sent pictures where it goes on for days and we get told it's a new well or they come out run it until it's begins short cycling and put a ton of bleach in and leave. It clears up a while then comes right back if it rains or is not used for a few days. I feel we are getting the run-around from a driller that does not want to fix it. Is what's happening normal like the driller said? If not what could be wrong?
20170606_214113.jpg

TVL

Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert, BUT that is NOT normal! Hopefully, one of the experts will chime in and offer some good advice. I for one, do believe you are getting the runaround from the original well driller ........................ and that's a shame!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your water is murky after a rain event, your casing is NOT sealed and there is a very real possibility that surface contaminants are getting into the well. I'd have that water tested by a reputable, local water testing lab to be sure it is potable. Do not use a mail order lab, for accurate results, bacteria samples have to be set immediately after the sample is taken.

Angela L Higgins

Reaction score
So he is just trying to get around fixing a bad casing job by draining it then pooring bleach in to kill anything in case we or the state tried to test it. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
So he is just trying to get around fixing a bad casing job by draining it then pooring bleach in to kill anything in case we or the state tried to test it. Thanks.
Maybe, maybe not. It could be that the aquifer connects to surface water somewhere else, and the water would not have to be coming from just outside of the casing.

I wonder if there is something safe that you could pour around the casing to see if infiltrates.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. It could be that the aquifer connects to surface water somewhere else, and the water would not have to be coming from just outside of the casing.

I wonder if there is something safe that you could pour around the casing to see if infiltrates.

Food coloring

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
9 months in and of itself doesn't mean much if the well was never developed to begin with. It might clear up with proper development depending on the formation of the aquifer. I get the feeling this is a low producing well and so will be difficult to develop it by simply pumping it hard for a long time.

It is hard to tell from that pic if it is just sediment or if the discoloration is from iron. If you run it hard for a long time does it get better or worse?

My well has fine grey clay and has lots of iron. When it is orange like in the pic, it is because my iron filter needs attention. If I get clay fines mixed with iron, it looks like cafe latte.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks