500' deep well, steel pipe (galv.), rusty water... replace with PVC?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by hamlet_jones, Jun 28, 2019.

1. hamlet_jones

hamlet_jones New Member

If it were not for the weight of that damn 1-1/4" pipe, I could yank it myself (and still might) but service
    requires a derrick, and the water is rusty, even after many 21' sections replaced. (could be the casing).
    ~end rant~

Question: If I replaced the galv with PVC, would it provide enough strength? Could I use
    torq arresters and be okay?

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    They make PVC that can be used in wells that deep. But if your casing is steel the rusty water probably won't go away until you install PVC casing as well, which means a new well. Steel casing can be cleaned, but then it starts rusting all over again.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hamlet_jones

hamlet_jones New Member

good show, thank you. I've been investigating filters. (however, a filter don't do sh/t for my dependence on a guy with a mobile derrick)