3-Way Switch Wiring Help...

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Nealis, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Nealis

Nealis New Member

Working on wiring lights in my attic, it was rewired some time ago, drywall etc. took some time to finish and now I'm returning to actually wire in the lights. I know we had a plan when it was originally done, but as I look at it and my reference sheets, I'm confused. I've attached an image of how we ran the wiring, what I'm looking for is guidance as to the actual connections within each light can and the switch configuration. Let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful information that I've omitted.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    just lableing wires b, w, & r is not enough. We have to know WHERE you are connecting the wires. After you get the two switches wired together PROPERLY, you only need hot, neutral, and ground wires, (regardless of their colors), to the fixtures.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Nealis

Nealis New Member

My issue is that I'm confused as to where to hook up the wires. Can I use this diagram, and connect Light, 2,3,4 with hot and neutrals off light 1?

[​IMG]

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Yes, if you can keep the wires straight. This one has a switch at the end of the lights, but you indicate that both of your switches are at the beginning, which simplifies the wiring.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    It's like asking your exwife to scratch your back for you, but yes, it'll work.