3" Mission No Hub Coupling Appropriate?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Burls2106, May 26, 2016.

1. Burls2106

Burls2106 New Member

I'm looking for confirmation on my sewer line repair before I cover it up with concrete. I recently had a plumbing company come to my house to repair the 3" cast iron sewer line under my basement slab. They cut the cast iron pipe and joined 3" ABS to it using a Mission no hub coupling, part number C 300 C. My question is, is it OK to use that coupling, given the difference in OD sizes of the cast iron and ABS? I asked the plumber when he was done and he told me it's perfectly fine. You can see in the picture that there is a difference in the ODs. I've seen the specialized PlumQwik coupling at Home Depot (P300-33) that is specific to joining pipes of difference ODs. I'm wondering if the plumber was correct in using the Mission coupling. I didn't pull a permit, so I'm also wondering if it meets code? He told me it does.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

IMG_2209.JPG

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Usually an inspector would NOT approve it, for just that reason. The cast iron side is "squeezed, and distorted.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Cool Blue Harley

Cool Blue Harley One Dumb Plumber

UPC

705.11 Joints between various materials

705.11.3 Plastic pipe to other materials. Where connecting plastic pipe to other types of plastic or other types of piping material; approved listed adapter or transition fittings and listed for the specific transition intended shall be used.

5. Burls2106

Burls2106 New Member

Thanks for your reply.

6. Burls2106

Burls2106 New Member

Thanks for your reply.

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Going from cast to plastic, I use a Mission copper size to no-hub size.
    The old cast is pipe size plus 1/8"
    Plastic is pipe size plus 3/8"
    Using copper sizing, which is pipe size plus 1/8" works for that.