3/4 HP Craftsman Shallow Well Hydro-Glass Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

TJS7

Reaction score
So first, apologies to everyone who considers the above named pump to be garbage. It came with the house and has allowed me water my property with well water for the past 18 years. So no huge problem....until now...

Started with a leak around the hose that runs from the pump to the hydroglass tank. Fixed that. Then pump would run but not get to pressure over 20 psi. Foot valve is fine. Water level is fine. Nothing leaking.
Tore the pump down. Impeller and diffuser show no signs of wear or holes. Checked the troubleshooting tips in the owner's manual and on-line. Ordered a new shaft seal. Installed new shaft seal. Reassembled pump. Same problem.

Cleared switch tube that runs between the pressure switch and the pump. Same problem. Takes forever to get to 20 psi and won't go above 20.

Changed out the pressure switch (30 -50) for a new one. Same problem.

I don't get it. Right now I think I'm out of options other than 1.) get a new pump or 2.) drop another $100 to get a new impeller and diffuser. (lipstick on a pig?)

I guess there's always 3.) use old pump for target practice (hehehehe)

Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

TJS7

Reaction score
Try to figure out how to run a wire thru the jet nozzle to clean out the debris. A coat hanger used to be a common wire to use. A piece of 12 AWG copper wire might be easier to find today.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pressure-drops-quick.67304/page-2#post-500629

Post a picture that includes the output end of your pump if your pump is not like that.
Actually still have wire coat hangers. Sad to report no debris in jet nozzle.
Here's a picture anyway.

Attachments

• Well pump.jpg
    Well pump.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 809

Reach4

Reaction score
With the pump running, and you watch the pressure gauge, try hitting each pipe joint, including the union, with a sopping wet sponge. See if the pressure kicks up when one joint is really wet. If you you find one, then that would be fixable.

How big is the hole? You couldn't get a 4 inch submersible pump down there, could you?

TJS7

Reaction score
The hole is big enough.

Possible complication is while the water level is 8 to 10 feet down it is apparently an underground stream. No sand or dirt just rock underwater. I did some probing with a PVC pole and there are places where the rock seems to be solid and others where there are deeper pockets. Not sure about dropping a submersible down there.

I'll try the sponge trick tomorrow.

Reach4

Reaction score
A 1/2 HP 10 gpm submersible pump would give you a lot more flow and pressure than a 3/4 hp jet pump. That would be a nice upgrade if it could work for you.

Maybe turn up the water pressure to 40/60 or more.

With that existing pressure tank, it would cycle more than you would like unless you used a CSV. You would have no-drama water.

A wet towel would work instead of a sponge.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this a bladder pressure tank? I think it is and the bladder may have blown. I sold then at Sears.

This is not a jet pump and if you're using it for irrigation only a pressure tank is not needed and no pressure switch. If you replace the pump remove it all and get an irrigation pump. Irrigation pumps start at 3/4 hp with a 1.5" input and output pipe. Craftsman pumps were made by STA-Rite and the first with hydro glass pump housing. Now all pumps seem to be made in Mexico regardless of manufacture.

A pressure tank for irrigation would be needed if you hand water with garden hoses with nozzles.

Last edited:

TJS7

Reaction score
A 1/2 HP 10 gpm submersible pump would give you a lot more flow and pressure than a 3/4 hp jet pump. That would be a nice upgrade if it could work for you.

Maybe turn up the water pressure to 40/60 or more.

With that existing pressure tank, it would cycle more than you would like unless you used a CSV. You would have no-drama water.

A wet towel would work instead of a sponge.
Options are good. Could be it's time for a complete change --e.g. a submersible. WHEN the current set up was working there wasn't an issue with water pressure or excessive cycling but clearly something has changed.

TJS7

Reaction score
Is this a bladder pressure tank? I think it is and the bladder may have blown. I sold then at Sears.

This is not a jet pump and if you're using it for irrigation only a pressure tank is not needed and no pressure switch. If you replace the pump remove it all and get an irrigation pump. Irrigation pumps start at 3/4 hp with a 1.5" input and output pipe. Craftsman pumps were made by STA-Rite and the first with hydro glass pump housing. Now all pumps seem to be made in Mexico regardless of manufacture.

A pressure tank for irrigation would be needed if you hand water with garden hoses with nozzles.

So. Actually the tank is not a bladder tank just an epoxy-coated holding tank.
Apologies if I called the pump something it is not. The manual that came with the pump calls it a "Hyrdoglass" shallow well jet pump. So that's what I went with in my post.
The setup is used for my outside watering. I have a little over 1/2 acre with an area for vegetables, some trees, some perennial flowers, and some grass. Nothing more than a walking lawn sprinkler and at other times a garden hose with nozzles.

TJS7

Reaction score
Tore into the front half of the pump this morning. First problem to present was the gasket between the tank body assembly and the insert had all but disappeared through deterioration. Okay.
But the real problem did not reveal itself until a bit later. Check out the insert piece. Good?
Not so much!
Ridiculously priced parts and crazy price on shipping through SearsParts Direct but they are ordered.

gasket gone.jpg
Insert.jpg
Insert cracked.jpg

TJS7

Reaction score
Try to figure out how to run a wire thru the jet nozzle to clean out the debris. A coat hanger used to be a common wire to use. A piece of 12 AWG copper wire might be easier to find today.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pressure-drops-quick.67304/page-2#post-500629

Post a picture that includes the output end of your pump if your pump is not like that.
Thanks Reach4. I was so focused on the back half of the pump I totally ignored the front half.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks