2 P-trap, Washing Machine Pan. AAV

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason8383

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a washing machine with a stand pipe which is vented to an AAV (metal rood, don't ask) , under the washing machine I am planning on putting a drain in case of flooding, so another drain, P-trap, vented to same AAV. Can we do that?

- P-trap of standpipe will be 6" above floor
-P-trap for drain will be under the floor so there will be above each other.

The P-trap-arm of standpipe will connect to the sanit-tee and then vent, then go down vertically 2 ft.

The P-trap arm of the drain will connect horizontally to the sani-tee and vent then to the same vent, go down,

Any issues with this setup, is this against code?
What are possible options for the drain under a washing machine, should I use something else, maybe 1.5"pipe, or use a washing machine pan?

Your thoughts

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drain connection sounds good. AAV's are rated by DFU or drainage fixture units. So as long as you have one rated for the correct DFU and its approved by your local authority and the manufactures spec, then yes you can combine fixtures..

I would install the floor drain where its not directly under the laundry machines so that you have easy access to clean them out regularly.. they will get lint and dust build up. Also install some sort of trap primer that adds a small amount of water periodically so that the water in the trap doesn't evaporate and allow sewer gasses to pass through.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it possible for you to use a wye to drain the floor drain and then vent it separately? My opinion is that would be better. Depending on circumstances your trap for the floor drain could be "self priming" due to using a tee vs a wye for the trap arm. Which isn't legal and could get sudsy.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
we usually run a separate 1 inch PVC drain line un trapped no vent just runs out side the house with a 90 turned down

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks