2 INCH WELL CASING------Sand in bottom 2 ft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lenray

Reaction score
I have a 2 inch well casing down 50 ft. and into water. About 2 ft. of sand-silt has come up into the casing. How do I get that sand-silt down so I can drop the 4 ft. point with a 2 ft. tail piece into place??????

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you using a suction pump with only one pipe going between the pump well? Why not have your point 5 ft higher than it is so that sand does not get drawn in?

Also if the pump pumps sediment, how about running the output of the pump entirely to the yard? That way the lighter sediment gets cleaned out.

Bannerman

Reaction score
When you mention 4' point and 2' tailpiece, I anticipate you are referring to a packer assembly for a deep well as water cannot be lifted by suction more than 24' vertically.

Hopefully, the static water level is suffently above the 2' of sand and silt otherwise, the well will likely run short of water while pumping.

To clear the silt sand will likely require feeding an air-line down the entire depth into the silt so as to use compressed air to blast the silt and water up to the surface and out from the 2" casing.

Lenray

Reaction score
When you mention 4' point and 2' tailpiece, I anticipate you are referring to a packer assembly for a deep well as water cannot be lifted by suction more than 24' vertically.

Hopefully, the static water level is suffently above the 2' of sand and silt otherwise, the well will likely run short of water while pumping.

To clear the silt sand will likely require feeding an air-line down the entire depth into the silt so as to use compressed air to blast the silt and water up to the surface and out from the 2" casing.

You are correct it is a deep well system------the 2 inch casing is just at the top of the water table--right where I want it. Then shove the 4 ft. stainless screen down out the bottom of the 2 inch casing leaving the 2 ft. long tail piece up in the casing ready for a Bremer check. THE PROBLEM----is that the fine sand comes up into the 2 inch casing. When that happens--I can't hammer the screen thru it...Your idea of using an air hose might work. HOW do well men do this or DID this as most don't work with 2 inch wells anymore. Having a large volume of water going down the pipe might flow the sand out of the bottom also....NOT SURE----You are on the right path--any other ideas?????

Reach4

Reaction score
Your idea of using an air hose might work. HOW do well men do this or DID this as most don't work with 2 inch wells anymore.
With a 4 or 5 inch well they might use a 275 cfm engine-driven compressor, and blow the air down a 1 inch pipe. That would make a geyser that erupts out the sediment.

For a 2 inch well, the area is about 1/6 that of a 5 inch well, so figure about 46 cfm. That is still a big compressor. Could a smaller compressor drive a big tank, and you release the stored air all at once with a 1/4 turn valve? I expect so. Maybe run a 1/2 inch pipe or 3/4. Well people would be using schedule 80 with threaded couplings, but you could glue some pvc up and allow a lot of time for the cement to set. Or maybe some polyethylene pipe could be used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks