1950s American Standard toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Joe Billera, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Joe Billera

Joe Billera New Member

I have what I believe is a 1950s toilet. American standard. It's green and matches sink so I'd like to keep it. Recently it started leaking from tank. Gasket was all but disintegrated. I tried replacing the gasket, but tank doesn't fit solid and it still leaks. Went to ACE (too thick), then Home Depot, then the local plumbing supply for gasket. Tank is wobbly and still leaks. I bought the toilet from a salvage place 15 years ago and set it up myself with no problem so what gives?

2. toiletenthusiast

toiletenthusiast Not a plumber, just a plumbing enthusiast

It may not be the gasket itself. Check the flush valve itself. If it’s original to the toilet, or even relatively old, that could be what’s leaking. Also replace the tank-to-bowl bolts while you’re at it.

Joe Billera likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Joe Billera likes this.
  4. Joe Billera

Joe Billera New Member

I believe you are right on the money. I did replace the bolts, but not the flush valve seal. Just watched a youtube video how to. I'll replace it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    If you replaced the bolts, you may have put a metal washer between the bolt head and the rubber washer. IF so, that is what is leaking.

toiletenthusiast likes this.
  6. Joe Billera

Joe Billera New Member

Well, the flush valve seal was disintegrating so it was a good idea to replace it, but toilet still leaked. I ended up calling American Standard and they directed me to a source for the authentic AS parts kit for my toilet. It contained a "tank cushion" in addition to the "beveled sponge washer" and new bolts. Finally, success.