1950s American Standard toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Billera

Reaction score
I have what I believe is a 1950s toilet. American standard. It's green and matches sink so I'd like to keep it. Recently it started leaking from tank. Gasket was all but disintegrated. I tried replacing the gasket, but tank doesn't fit solid and it still leaks. Went to ACE (too thick), then Home Depot, then the local plumbing supply for gasket. Tank is wobbly and still leaks. I bought the toilet from a salvage place 15 years ago and set it up myself with no problem so what gives?

ToiletEnthusiast

Not a plumber, just a plumbing enthusiast
Reaction score
It may not be the gasket itself. Check the flush valve itself. If it’s original to the toilet, or even relatively old, that could be what’s leaking. Also replace the tank-to-bowl bolts while you’re at it.

Joe Billera

Reaction score
It may not be the gasket itself. Check the flush valve itself. If it’s original to the toilet, or even relatively old, that could be what’s leaking. Also replace the tank-to-bowl bolts while you’re at it.
I believe you are right on the money. I did replace the bolts, but not the flush valve seal. Just watched a youtube video how to. I'll replace it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

Joe Billera

Reaction score
If you replaced the bolts, you may have put a metal washer between the bolt head and the rubber washer. IF so, that is what is leaking.
Well, the flush valve seal was disintegrating so it was a good idea to replace it, but toilet still leaked. I ended up calling American Standard and they directed me to a source for the authentic AS parts kit for my toilet. It contained a "tank cushion" in addition to the "beveled sponge washer" and new bolts. Finally, success.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks