15A and 20A circuits in same box, connect grounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

sonnaps

Reaction score
I am remodeling my master bathroom and I have one of those combination heat/exhaust/light units in there by Nutone. The bathroom in big and has several recessed lights and other vanity lights, shower lights, etc. The Nutone unit specs out a dedicated 20A circuit for it alone. I was leery about putting all the other lights on the same circuit, so I ran a 15A circuit for all the lights and a separate 20A circuit for the Nutone unit. The thing is I wanted the light on the Nutone unit to turn on with the same switch as the recessed lights.

So what I did was separate the wiring in the Nutone unit itself so I can run the lights on the one 15A circuit and the heat/exhaust part on the 20A circuit. I'm sure I could have used some type of relay setup to trigger the light on and off with the rest of the recessed lights if I kept that whole unit running on the 20A circuit on its own, but I thought this was a little more straight forward (I also thought this would prevent any type of light flickering when the heat or exhaust kicked on just in case). I also separated the neutrals in the unit so I am pretty confident that will work out fine. My question comes to the metal box in the Nutone unit and the plastic box where all the switches are. On the metal box in the unit, do can I connect both grounds (1 from the 15A circuit and 1 from the 20A circuit) to the grounding screw on the box? Is that okay?

Same question at the switch box. It's a plastic 3-gang box that has the 20A circuit running in there for the one heat switch and one exhaust switch, and a shower switch is in there too on the 15A circuit. Do I tie the grounds all together even though they are different circuits, and different amperage?

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, rules are to connect all grounds together. The size of wire landing on the metal box is determined by the largest circuit - in your case needs to be 12 gauge. The neutrals need to be kept separate.

sonnaps

Reaction score
Yes, rules are to connect all grounds together. The size of wire landing on the metal box is determined by the largest circuit - in your case needs to be 12 gauge. The neutrals need to be kept separate.

Great, thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks