How can I tie two [D] circuit breaker handles together? |15|20|

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gift

Reaction score
From |15| side of the circuit breaker I brought a dedicated refrigerator #14 cable to thexisting wall outlet wired with #12 from |20| side.
(Brought home a fairly new 36" side-by-side refrigerator found athe curb.)
Existing #12 in the outlet continues to the other wall outlets in this "enclosed back porch made into a second kitchen".

(From the duplex outlet I disconnected the #12 . In theoutlet box, I wire-nutted the #12 to #12 continuing to the other outlets.
Legal?

Potential problem. If one turns off either |15|20| the other cable in the same box remains energized.

Wanto tie the |15|20| handles buthey do not movenough to fit the metal <[ ]> between them.
Run a piece of #12 through the handle holes? |=|=|

Thank you.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Potential problem. If one turns off either |15|20| the other cable in the same box remains energized.
The NEC doesn't consider that a problem. It only requires a common disconnect on the two breakers if both circuits feed the same device on a single yoke, i.e. if you split the tabs on the receptacle, and supplied one half from one circuit and one half from the other.

With one circuit just passing through the box, there's no requirement for a common disconnect. Even if both circuits served separate devices in a box, you wouldn't need a common disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks