Search results

1. Rburt5

Backsplash gap

In laying out my subway tile backsplash I’m going to have a 3/8” gap between the top row of tile and the cabinets. That feels like a little too much to caulk and too narrow to cut a thin row of tile. My gut tells me a piece of 1/2” quarter round molding is the way to go. Are there better options?
  2. Rburt5

Shelf on kitchen soffit

I just finished hanging new kitchen cabinets. The soffit wasn’t level so I had to hang a filler board to give the cabinets a level surface to go up against. My plan was to just cover the filler board with a trim piece. Now my wife said she’d like a small shelf running above the cabinets along...
  3. Rburt5

Static electricity in wiring?

I changed a ceiling light fixture today. Had the power shut off at the breaker. As I was putting the new fixture in place I saw it spark 3-4 different times a tiny little zap like static electricity. I didn’t feel any shock it was so small and there wasn’t any power to the fixture. What would...
  4. Rburt5

Deck refinishing paint recommendations

I have an old deck that’s pretty rough but I don’t want to replace it for a couple more years. So I’m looking for a refinishing paint that’ll fill in the rough spots. There are a lot of options out there. Does anybody have experience with paint that you can recommend or tell me to stay away from?
  5. Rburt5

Window replacement

I’m replacing original aluminum windows from 1979. The windows are on my second story and my 20ft ladder won’t let me reach the top of them. They’re held on with a nailing fin that’s behind 2 layers of siding. Also, they’re single hung windows and the top panes won’t come out. Does anybody...
  6. Rburt5

Flooring transition

I’m installing Pergo waterproof laminate flooring throughout my house except bathrooms (just can’t bring myself to trust it around tubs and toilets). My bathroom has linoleum. When I transition into the bathroom I’m worried about water from people getting out of the shower running under the...
  7. Rburt5

Outlet spark

I was running a circular saw in my garage when my daughter said she saw an outlet in the living room spark. The outlet is on the same circuit as the one my saw was plugged into. The breaker is a 20 amp and the outlets are 15 amp. I pulled the outlet that she said sparked and don’t see any signs...
  8. Rburt5

Removing telephone wire

I haven’t had a land line for several years and want to remove the telephone connection box from a bedroom. Can I simply cut the wires and stuff them into the wall, or will there still be electricity going through the wires?
  9. Rburt5

Stair cavity

I was crawling on my knees through my attic inspecting some wiring when my foot accidentally landed between two trusses, knocking down a piece of regular cardboard that was holding up the cellulose insulation over my stair cavity. Has anybody heard of such a thing? Is it normal to use cardboard...
  10. Rburt5

Ceiling fan box

I’m replacing a small ceiling fan. The old one was fastened to an electrical box almost identical to the one in the pic I attached. It’s rated to hold 50 lbs. My new fan is only 15 lbs. Will that style box hold my fan, or do I need to tear it out and put in a metal box?
  11. Rburt5

Laminate floor on stairs

I’m wondering if anybody has experience with laminate flooring on stairs. How well does it hold up? Should I be worried about the nosing getting broken? Is it too slippery? Just trying to weigh my options before going through with it.
  12. Rburt5

Foundation crack

I noticed a pretty big crack in the corner of my foundation while spraying for ants. It’s an area of the house with a craw space and a single story over it. Is it something to be concerned about? Bad enough to call a pro to look at it? Or just keep an eye on it? I attached a photo.
  13. Rburt5

Internal blinds

I’m choosing a replacement sliding glass door. We use this door frequently. I’m considering internal blinds so I don’t have to constantly fight with curtains when going in and out. But I’m worried needing a whole new door if the internal blinds break. Anybody have them? Good or bad? Or are there...
  14. Rburt5

Refrigerator Problem

I'm posting this question here because I don't know where else to post it. Any direction is appreciated. I have a Whirlpool top-mount refrigerator that is 9 years old. Ice keeps forming in my freezer and water keeps dripping into my fridge. I let it defrost for 24 hours and then dried it all...
  15. Rburt5

Tub Diverted valve sticking

The diverter valve on my tub faucet is only a year old but has become very difficult to lift and lower. Once in position, it doesn't leak or anything. Is there a way to lube it or clean it without pulling the whole thing off the copper pipe? I'd hate to replace it already.
  16. Rburt5

Bathroom vanity replacement

I want to replace my bathroom vanity. It sets tightly between two walls that are 48" apart. This is not a high end remodel, and I would like to stay away from custom built cabinets. The problem is that 48" cabinets from the big box stores say they need a 49" top (for overhang?) Would it work if...
  17. Rburt5

Matching toilet to seat

I need to replace the toilet seat on one of my Briggs toilets. Do I need to buy a Briggs toilet seat, or just make sure it's the right size?
  18. Rburt5

heating element for Frigidaire oven

You guys have always been really helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd bring my latest problem to you before asking for an expensive service call. The main breaker to my house tripped the other day. After flipping the power back on we checked around and noticed the oven (which was turned...
  19. Rburt5

Tub cleaner

I have a 30 year old bathtub that has dark stains/residue left over from when anti-slip things were stuck to its bottom. Is there a solvent or anything that will take it off? Also, there is rust creeping out from around the drain. Is there anything I can do to keep it from spreading? I...
  20. Rburt5

salt on concrete

I 've always heard that salt will destroy my concrete driveway and sidewalk. The other day a guy told me that table salt will destroy concrete, but rock salt will not. Is he right?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks