Deck refinishing paint recommendations

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by rburt5, Mar 17, 2021.

1. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I have an old deck that’s pretty rough but I don’t want to replace it for a couple more years. So I’m looking for a refinishing paint that’ll fill in the rough spots. There are a lot of options out there. Does anybody have experience with paint that you can recommend or tell me to stay away from?

2. DFence

DFence New Member

Depending on how rough a shape your wood deck is, if it's not too bad, you should consider staining instead of painting. If you go the staining route, it has a more natural look and is more affordable. I personally like Behr's waterproofing stain and sealer. If there are a few chips here and there, and you're set on paint, I like Sherwin William's exterior deck and dock coating. If the deck looks REALLY rough, maybe consider a new wood deck installation.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2021
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. rburt5

rburt5 Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up renting a walk behind deck sander. All the old solid stain came right off and it smoothed out the roughest parts. Almost looked new! I went with a semi transparent stain since the decking cleaned up so well.

My stain job has some uneven looking places. Can I do a second coat of it to even things out?

5. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Never heard of deck sander does it work with sand paper or ?

6. rburt5

rburt5 Member

fitter30 likes this.
  7. TJanak

TJanak Member

I know it's a late reply, but we did our entire (new) wood porches with two coats of Sherwin semi-solid stain. Looks very nice.