Search results

1. Erico

I’m working on an Meter upgrade worksheet for the Gas Co

The worksheet asks for minimum PSIG. RHEEM says 7-10 water column. it’s a 199,900 btu natural gas. I’m near Chicago. Am I correct in saying .252 minimum PSIG?
  2. Erico

What would cause this NMC to scorch?

This is behind a dishwasher. You can see the cable scorched (melted?) and scorched the insulation on the dishwasher. My guess is the wire was overlapped and caused heating? But I could be wrong. Should this be metallic cable outside the drywall?
  3. Erico

Common plumbing mistakes PDF

A while back someone (Terry?) posted a PDF with a list of common plumbing mistakes - with drawings. Does anyone have that thing handy ? I tried searching. Thanks in advance
  4. Erico

New stove requires 40 or 50 amp breaker

Still trying to get specs This receptacle says it's rated 50amp Can't make out the wire size. Looks like number 8. Breaker is 30 amp. Wondering if I need to pull new wire or just upgrade the breaker?
  5. Erico

What amperage is this service? And is this correct?

Sister in law asked me what would be involved in an upgrade to breakers so I had her send me a picture of what is there currently. This sure doesn't look kosher to me the way it is set up currently. Namely the 30 amp fuses. Those should be 20s or 15s no? I can't make out the writing on the...
  6. Erico

Condensate pump bad?

Problem: furnace stops working Temporary fix: my brother in law took vacuum line off to check diaphragm by sucking on it and got a mouth full of water. When line is emptied the furnace starts and runs. Mother in law has been pulling top gray line and emptying it for the last week. ---------...
  7. Erico

I inherited a new in the box tankless water heater.

A buddy of mine purchased this thing 5??ish years ago but never installed it. It's a "Sets" brand electric tankless water heater. Besides the massive amount of electricity this thing requires, is it even worth the trouble to install it? I've read some bad reviews AND the company is out of...
  8. Erico

How many #6 wires in 3/4 inch rigid conduit?

The fill chart says 4
  9. Erico

What size wire for a 230 volt 20 amp breaker?

This is a dedicated circuit for an 8,000 BTU wall a/c receptical. I assumed it should be 12 gauge wire but was surprised to find 14 gauge wire when replacing the a/c receptical. To add to my confusion, the receptical is wired with a black and white wire - white is the second hot (but not...
  10. Erico

How

Ideally, I would like
  11. Erico

Gray schedule 40

Carlon vylon dwv PVC I schedule 40 Do I use the same glue/primer as I use for white schedule 40? I have some purple primer and Oatey clear PVC cement? Is that all compatible?
  12. Erico

Is it kosher to junction a 240 line?

I'm moving the wall oven location from one side of the room to the other. This will be a new oven. Currently, the old oven is hard wired (not plugged) to a junction box behind the oven --- on a 30 amp breaker. Red/black/white/bare. I'm wondering if I can just move that junction under the...
  13. Erico

Cutting a window/lite in to a steel skinned entry door.

Has anyone here done this? And/or have a recommendation for a supplier? It's a steel skinned door with, what appears to be a wood frame and, I ASSUME, a foam core. Looking for something around 22 x 28 for overall. I've found some suppliers online but it's hard to see quality without...
  14. Erico

Can I use a (mistakenly purchased) 3-way switch as a single pole switch?

It's a double (rocker/decora) switch I intend to separately switch two fixtures. There are three brass screws marked B1, A1, and A2. And two black "common" screws. I saw the electrician at my mother-in-laws kitchen job jump some wires to use a three way dimmer as a single pole. Just didn't...
  15. Erico

Testing a Soun Touch floor heat mat.

I'm testing a couple mats prior to installation. The label on the floor mat(s) says OHM range from 44-54. I'm getting a reading of just a hair over 15 for both mats. I'm assuming I don't have two bad mats. I assume it's user error. I've done three of these mats in the last several years and I...
  16. Erico

I need a timer for a bathroom fan/light/heater combo.

The plan is to place the heater on the timer and switch the fan and light. I have to check again, but I believe the heater is rated at 1000 watts. The largest wattage timer I have run across is 600 watts. Can anyone steer me to a supply house who carries higher watt timers? Perhaps my...
  17. Erico

What are some dangerous things you pros have seen homeowners do?

I've been thinking about this topic for some time and really got to thinking about it when I saw some really dangerous set-ups in my mother-in-law's new house. What are the TOP things homeowners or jack-legs do to burn their houses down and/or or cause an injury? I sometimes question...
  18. Erico

7 way switch?

I'm heading up to Michigan to this weekend to help out with a few projects on my buddy's vacation home - one project is to tackle an issue he has with outside flood-lights. There are approximately 18 floods (CFLs) affixed to his eves. Everything is working properly. The issue is that he rents...
  19. Erico

Should a garbage disposal be on a GFCI?

I opted to install a switched outlet under the sink for the disposal (rather than a hard wire with a whip). Should I install a GFCI? Also, there will be a non-switched outlet for a potential hot water dispenser. I thought I remembered seeing in one set of specs that they recommend a GFCI but...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks