How many #6 wires in 3/4 inch rigid conduit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Rigid? Did you maybe mean EMT, which is often called "thin wall"? I think the conduit can serve as the protective ground with the right couplings, so the 2 #6 wires can be alone. I am not an electrician.You might want to consider if you want another utility circuit while you are pulling the wires.

Last edited:

Erico

Reaction score
Rigid? Did you maybe mean ENT, which is often called "thin wall"? I think the conduit can serve as the protective ground with the right couplings, so the 2 #6 wires can be alone. I am not an electrician.You might want to consider if you want another utility circuit while you are pulling the wires.

I should have mentioned this will be under ground to the space in my yard. So I plan on using rigid. Unless I can use EMT underground??

Using the conduit as a ground would be nice too if that is kosher. But I think the circuitry requires a ground which would need to be connected to the conduit or box if it is metal. Not sure if that would fly.

Stuff

Reaction score
For 40 amps you can go with 8 gauge wire. Since the draw will be 30 amp a buffer is already built in. Ground wire can be 10 gauge.

How hard the pull is will depend on the number of bends. Two or less should be fairly easy. Also - you could go with UF cable.

The charger is a 240v load so no neutral needed.

It is a plastic box so using rigid is going to be a pain to transition properly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you might want say a 120vac receptacle out there for maybe running a vacuum or polisher, you do not need a neutral connector as neither the 240vac EVSE nor the car use it. It does need a good ground connection. The EVSE has built-in GFI protection, so a plain breaker is fine. The installation instructions on the EVSE will describe how to make the supply connections when outside to meet the water-tight requirements (assuming that model is already classified for that use!). Use that as your guide for the best supply wiring (and, if your locale has any special requirements about maybe depth, and type of cable run).

Erico

Reaction score
It is a plastic box so using rigid is going to be a pain to transition properly.

When you say rigid will be a pain to transition, do you mean as far as keeping the ground/connecting ground? Or just in general.

One of the complaints I read is there are no knockouts so I will be drilling my own.

A question that came up thread was rigid versus EMT. Can I use emt underground with the compression pipe connectors? Or should it be rigid?

No NM wire allowed here so I need to use conduit.

Erico

Reaction score
Unless you might want say a 120vac receptacle out there for maybe running a vacuum or polisher, you do not need a neutral connector as neither the 240vac EVSE nor the car use it. It does need a good ground connection. The EVSE has built-in GFI protection, so a plain breaker is fine. The installation instructions on the EVSE will describe how to make the supply connections when outside to meet the water-tight requirements (assuming that model is already classified for that use!). Use that as your guide for the best supply wiring (and, if your locale has any special requirements about maybe depth, and type of cable run).

I may run a separate line and tie it in to building power (this is a condo) for other uses like security cameras so I can watch my expensive EVSE equipment get stolen for copper. We've previously ok'd wireless security cameras so I might make that happen at the same time.

I may just say screw it and run mine as a 20 amp 120v receptical and use the factory supplied "trickle" charger that takes 7 hours. I would still probably use the heavy wire for future upgrade.

My biggest fear right now is theft. The trickle charger is relatively cheap but needs to be exposed to theft for 7 hours which probably means over night.

The 240 charger will charge in just over 2 hours. I can plug the 240 in when I get home and unplug before bed time. Still, the wall unit and charge cord need to be secured 24/7 when not in use. I'm looking for some sort of factory made case to house this thing in. I might need to have a welder make something heavy duty.

Stuff

Reaction score
Sorry, need to clarify. What I meant was rigid metal conduit (RMC) is difficult to work with (I don't like cutting and threading). Also entering a plastic box with metal might give your inspector a headache. Schedule 80 PVC rigid nonmetallic conduit (RNC) would be the way to go. Schedule 40 if you can't back the car into it.

You mentioned condo. That could change all the rules as to what is allowed. Not just the condo association but your permit/inspection department.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, with 6g wire, you could support up to a 40A EVSE (80% rule, 50A circuit). The circuit breaker is to protect the wiring, so with 6g wire, you could just install a 50A breaker. Same concept as with a 15A circuit when you are only powering your cellphone charger...the CB is to protect the wiring, not the device.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks