I apologize for the dumb question but..

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckD

Reaction score
I recently had my shower remodeled, and I told my plumber I would install the handle and trim on the new valve. Well I installed the trim piece and handle but when I turned it nothing came out. Is there a built-in shut off somewhere on this new valve? I’m really hoping they didn’t install one somewhere behind my new tile.

Attachments

• 73370659487__B7BE24A3-01D2-4141-874A-EF62DEEFDBEA.jpeg
    73370659487__B7BE24A3-01D2-4141-874A-EF62DEEFDBEA.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 32

TJRAD

Reaction score
Here are the basics...
If you have service stops make sure they are in the on position. If you dont have service stop then make sure both your hot and cold water is turned on in the house. If your water heater is off for some reason then the cold side will balance to that pressure of zero. Hope it turns out to be an easy one.
Good luck.
IMG_1127.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are no stops on the valve in the picture. Your hot water is probably turned off somewhere. Or the cold somewhere. Either will result in no flow. Both have to be on.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I recently had my shower remodeled, and I told my plumber I would install the handle and trim on the new valve. Well I installed the trim piece and handle but when I turned it nothing came out. Is there a built-in shut off somewhere on this new valve? I’m really hoping they didn’t install one somewhere behind my new tile.
I hope you realize that once YOU decided to install the trim etc. the plumber is no longer responsible for any defects in workmanship and you took on all the responsibility of a failure /scalding

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hardly how it works.
I won several cases where either home owner or a handyman did some work after the licensed contractor left and then later when something failed they tried to go after the contractor too no avail.

FewIII

Reaction score
I won several cases where either home owner or a handyman did some work after the licensed contractor left and then later when something failed they tried to go after the contractor too no avail.
It all depends on what the contract states.
This is cosmetic, and has nothing to do with the actually function of the valve.

I think it was 2008, I did a did a basement conversion ( theater, bathroom, playroom, bar, yes the house was huge ). My sparky finished, my plastered finished, my painters finished.

I put all of the wallpapers on and did a walk through with the customer. All is good. A couple weeks later, I get a call that the kegerator outlet was was not working.
Went to verify with the electrician. He knew immediately. Found a loose neutral. In the sub panel.
I still remind him of that when I bring him in, lol.

Maybe in California or Canada, but, he could never claim I "own it " because I put on the wall plates.
Do you think you could win that case?

No difference.

(I just realized that specific job is how I first found this forum )

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It all depends on what the contract states.
This is cosmetic, and has nothing to do with the actually function of the valve.

I think it was 2008, I did a did a basement conversion ( theater, bathroom, playroom, bar, yes the house was huge ). My sparky finished, my plastered finished, my painters finished.

I put all of the wallpapers on and did a walk through with the customer. All is good. A couple weeks later, I get a call that the kegerator outlet was was not working.
Went to verify with the electrician. He knew immediately. Found a loose neutral. In the sub panel.
I still remind him of that when I bring him in, lol.

Maybe in California or Canada, but, he could never claim I "own it " because I put on the wall plates.
Do you think you could win that case?

No difference.

(I just realized that specific job is how I first found this forum )
If you had went back and removed the outlet and started tinkering to try to find out what was wrong INSTEAD OF calling the electrician, then yes you would loose in court. You can't go and ticker with another man's work and then go back and say he did something wrong. Since you put the plates on and then called a pro that's different then what this has implied here. As long as he doesn't take the cartridge out or mess with anything, then if there's a real problem with the plumbing that he didn't touch then the plumber would be responsible. Since this guy doesn't know what a stop is or how to locate one and he's asking how to move forward he's implying he's gonna do the trouble shooting which could lead to the plumber denying responsibility.

It's also a little different with this scenario because the handle interfaces with the valve and they function together. This particular valve and handle aren't very special but there are valve handles that are very specific and a homeowner (who is paying for work to be done) shouldn't install them as they can effect the functionality of the valve.

If you had some special switches that you wanted to install yourself and told the electrician that you would do it, then yes your responsible for them and move have to pay to have him come back.

A judge could definitely say that you terminated the contract and agreed that the work was done. Very easily.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I had a case where a roofer was being sued by a co op and at first they thought it was a roof drain and when I plugged the drain and put 2" of water on the flat roof with no leaks around the drain the plumber was off the hook.

At the deposition I asked who found the leak and the co-op president said he walked on the roof and saw a "Bubble" and after a few rains the roof leaked.

I testified that the roof was not a Promenade type roof and it is strictly for weather protection and the president of the board of directors had no business being up there.

Also a AIR BUBBLE is common and as long as the bubble is not filled with water only air it proves it is not leaking.

The jury found the roofer not guilty of neglect and unauthorized people on the roof caused the contract to be null and void.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks