Sewer smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Bacon

Reaction score
I've been in this newly constructed house for just short of a year. For a few months now I had noticed a sewer smell coming from the sink. Normally after is not used for awhile, like first thing in the morning, or when I get home at night. Before I use it in the morning I am now filling it with water while I bush my teeth, then drain all at once. It seems to take care of it...for awhile.
It's a double vanity, but not sure if that matters. Since we are at our 1 year warranty mark I need to know if this is something to address. Never happened at my previous home. I have smelt it in one of the other bathrooms but only once. Adding a picture of what it looked like during construction.

All input is greatly appreciated.

20200104_164040.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A sink that isn't used often will dry out. Every so often I run water down the plumbing fixtures in my home that don't get much use.
For me, main bath tub, and basement pedestal lav in the laundry room.
Floor drains in commercial buildings are a big one.

The plumbing in the wall looks okay.

Scott Bacon

Reaction score
A sink that isn't used often will dry out. Every so often I run water down the plumbing fixtures in my home that don't get much use.
For me, main bath tub, and basement pedestal lav in the laundry room.
Floor drains in commercial buildings are a big one.

The plumbing in the wall looks okay.

These are sinks I use daily. I just realized the pipe that goes straight up is likely the sink drain upstairs (that one gets used once a week, if it's lucky)...so do they use the drain as a vent at the top?

Attachments

• 20200104_164335.jpg
    20200104_164335.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 169

Reach4

Reaction score
Normally after is not used for awhile, like first thing in the morning, or when I get home at night. Before I use it in the morning I am now filling it with water while I bush my teeth, then drain all at once. It seems to take care of it...for awhile.
Two thoughts:

1 is to remove the trap and block the drain below, to get a bleach solution to fill to near the rim and soak. The thought is that maybe something is growing in the inner passages. This blocking would require a tub to collect the water when you un-block and then restore the trap.

2 is to finish off draining the sink with a slow flow to refill the trap. I wonder if a fast flow could trigger a siphoning. I understand that does not seem to match your symptoms.

Scott Bacon

Reaction score
If the upstairs sink drains into the lower and isn't vented, that could be a problem. Vents normally exit through the roof. And you don't drain a sink into a downstairs vent.
Thank you! So in the picture of the upstairs (second pre-drywall image) appears to have the drain and vent running all in one since there is nothing above that space except the roof.
I don't apparently have a picture of higher in the master bath so maybe the drain does very somewhere else.
Again, just going off of what seems logical to me, in no means a plumber so I appreciate the information more that you know.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It should take about a week or two of non use to dry up a sink trap I would think, but that depends a lot on humidity/AC/Dehumidification etc.

I would start by dripping some peppermint oil in the vents on the roof to see if you can then smell that inside the house. If you do then you know there is an opening in the DrainWasteVent/DWV system. If you don't smell that insided after, then its something else.

I've heard of sink overflows getting a funky smell in them. But that would seem to be a more constant smell that wouldn't really change with use.

I can see why inspectors insist on purple primer for PVC... I can't see evidence that any of those DWV fittings are glued. Dry fit fittings can hold a water leak test then wiggle loose (hope that isn't the case and that would be the last thing to try to diagnose )

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikha'el

Reaction score
I can see why inspectors insist on purple primer for PVC... I can't see evidence that any of those DWV fittings are glued. Dry fit fittings can hold a water leak test then wiggle loose (hope that isn't the case and that would be the last thing to try to diagnose )
It's been quite a while since I've been on a residential jobsite - and maybe I don't know what I'm looking at - but don't all those PEX fittings look slightly non-pro? Or is that how it's done on tract housing nowadays?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was biting my tongue on all those fittings.. I get that its a daisy chain and there are 2 sinks between the supply and the run.. but I would have eliminated half of those fittings for sure.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was biting my tongue on all those fittings.. I get that its a daisy chain and there are 2 sinks between the supply and the run.. but I would have eliminated half of those fittings for sure.
I was initially shocked. But given it is a slab, the more I look at it, the better it seems to me. Maybe you would eliminate 1/3 or 1/4 of the fittings. I think there is some flexibility given by not using the minimum amount of fittings.

In installing a softener, I made the mistake of installing a copper to F1960 PEX in line with where it had to go to the softener. I have added 4 elbows to make a side jog, and it made the stress go away. I now think that trying to go in-line over short fixed distances is not good. PEX is not that flexible.

Scott Bacon

Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I've been on a residential jobsite - and maybe I don't know what I'm looking at - but don't all those PEX fittings look slightly non-pro? Or is that how it's done on tract housing nowadays?
This look any better? Blue on red...

Attachments

• 20200107_165528.jpg
    20200107_165528.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 167
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks