Grohe Tub Spout - Sweat in Stub Out or Use Custom Brass Nipple? with little wiggle room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
The spout I have requires only about 3/4 inch of threads sticking out from finished wall. And it doesn't have much wiggle room, maybe one full turn of the threads.

IF I leave a sweated copper stub out, I foresee a difficulty being able to then sweat on a threaded adapter because it will be so close to the finished wall.
IF I use a short brass nipple, I foresee difficulty screwing it into the drop elbow without messing up the outside threads because the length of the outside threaded portion is essentially the length it needs to protrude from finished wall.

Any advice?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pipe nipple goes on the tub spout and then the spout with nipple threads in by hand.

To find the measurement, thread in a long nipple and mark where the end should be. Remove that long nipple and find a nipple that is the size that you marked.
You should never need to put pliers on the nipple that is used for the tub spout, only to install and remove the long nipple used for the measurement.

Sokolq55

Reaction score
The pipe nipple goes on the tub spout and then the spout with nipple threads in by hand.

To find the measurement, thread in a long nipple and mark where the end should be. Remove that long nipple and find a nipple that is the size that you marked.
You should never need to put pliers on the nipple that is used for the tub spout, only to install and remove the long nipple used for the measurement.
Thank you!!!

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Do you guys prefer pipe dope or Teflon tape for these cases? Especially for the thread seal inside the wall

Reach4

Reaction score
To make a brass nipple stick out more, add more PTFE tape. To make it stick out less, turn tighter.

If in doubt to size, order both.

1-3/4 length is available in stainless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks