Water heater supply line smaller than return?

Users who are viewing this thread

Deathtofishy

Reaction score
Couldn't find a post related to my question when searching, sorry if this has been answered.

I have a newer water heater in one of my rental units (installed by previous owner), and I am replacing all the old galvanized steel pipes in the basement with PEX due to corrosion and poor flow.

The 18" copper water heater adapters are both 3/4", but the supply line going to the water heater adapter is 1/2" and the return is 3/4".

The old galvanized was setup this way, so not sure if whoever installed it just followed what was there before, or if there is a reason for the smaller supply?

Never seen this before on the couple hot water heaters I've had to mess with in prior homes.

Can't imagine any negative switching to a 3/4" supply, maybe also even help with volume in the entire hot side?

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 234

Reach4

Reaction score
Can't imagine any negative switching to a 3/4" supply, maybe also even help with volume in the entire hot side?
Increase to 3/4 up until you split to supply hot to only one kitchen or one bathroom.

More volume (gallons) in the hot piping is a downside of bigger pipe (longer to wait for hot) but more flow rate (gpm) is good for the hot pipe to avoid pressure drops when the pipe supplies a bunch of stuff.

Deathtofishy

Reaction score
Reach4,

Maybe my terminology in the first post wasn't clear.

The tee off the cold supply to the hot water heater is downsized to 1/2". That is what I am wondering if I should increase to 3/4"

The hot line coming out (what I referred to as return), is 3/4" until it splits to each of the individual fixture (faucets/bath/laundry), where it goes down to 1/2". Which I know to be normal/correct.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water heater should be supplied with 3/4"
1/2 only works for two fixtures at a time. You should have 3/4" going in and out, and then break it down to 1/2 to the kitchen, the bathroom, the second bathroom, the washer.
These all get their own 1/2" lines off the 3/4".

Reach4

Reaction score
The tee off the cold supply to the hot water heater is downsized to 1/2". That is what I am wondering if I should increase to 3/4"
Cold path to the WH should be 3/4 at least.

Hot path out of the WH should be 3/4 until you tee off to where 1/2 is appropriate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks