Why don't kitchen sinks have trip lever/plunger drains?

Users who are viewing this thread

AndrewP

Reaction score
I've seen many sinks plumbed where one waste pipe has a sharp 90 that drains into the waste of the other sink. I know it's best to have the least amount of pipe before the p trap, but this is fairly common.
sink-drain.JPG

Just wondered why I've never seen a bathtub style trip lever/plunger drain or standing waste applied to a kitchen sink. Would seem very useful when you want to drain a sink with filthy water as it saves having to put your hands into the water.Something like this:
standingwaste.jpg

Is there a reason why?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect the linkage could get impacted with food waste. A bathtub drain deals with hair, but not food residue.

AndrewP

Reaction score
Those commercial ones linked to I think are butterfly valves. Interesting design, that would impede water-flow less than the pop-up ones you get on bathroom sinks. These seem to clog all the time.

commercial waste.jpg

Hj, what method does yours use?

On clogging, the standing waste design, would seem the least likely to clog in theory.

Which of these would work better? The first is pretty standard standing waste, with p-trap. The second attempts to reduce the exposed pipework. These are not to scale. Basically the difference is the bottom of the second waste/overflow (in brown) is underwater. Any thoughts?
waste.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
We install hundreds of Franklin wastes Unfortunately many are now imported and are crap

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mine are cable operated with push/pull knobs on the sink deck. My sink has six holes so it has the faucet, steaning hot, cold drinking water, two drain operators, and a soap dispenser.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Notice the cap on the Franklin opposite the handle? That is for an overflow if the sink has one

The problem with an overflow on kitchen sink overflow is the possibility of bacteria growing near food preparation

This is why expert witness can work the legal system on both sides either way you're doomed if you have to defend an action in court

No overflow a good chance of spillage causing a fall , with a overflow great change of E - coli

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks