Why don't kitchen sinks have trip lever/plunger drains?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom Plumbing Forum and Advice' started by AndrewP, Feb 12, 2019.

1. AndrewP

AndrewP New Member

I've seen many sinks plumbed where one waste pipe has a sharp 90 that drains into the waste of the other sink. I know it's best to have the least amount of pipe before the p trap, but this is fairly common.
    sink-drain.JPG

Just wondered why I've never seen a bathtub style trip lever/plunger drain or standing waste applied to a kitchen sink. Would seem very useful when you want to drain a sink with filthy water as it saves having to put your hands into the water.Something like this:
    standingwaste.jpg

Is there a reason why?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I suspect the linkage could get impacted with food waste. A bathtub drain deals with hair, but not food residue.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    My sink DOES have remote operated drains. You just need holes in the sink for the push/pull knobs.

6. AndrewP

AndrewP New Member

Those commercial ones linked to I think are butterfly valves. Interesting design, that would impede water-flow less than the pop-up ones you get on bathroom sinks. These seem to clog all the time.

commercial waste.jpg

Hj, what method does yours use?

On clogging, the standing waste design, would seem the least likely to clog in theory.

Which of these would work better? The first is pretty standard standing waste, with p-trap. The second attempts to reduce the exposed pipework. These are not to scale. Basically the difference is the bottom of the second waste/overflow (in brown) is underwater. Any thoughts?
    waste.jpg

7. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing- - fire suppression
    We install hundreds of Franklin wastes Unfortunately many are now imported and are crap