Reducing sink drain from 2" to 1.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris989

Reaction score
Hello all,

Yes i know that reducing drain waste in the direction of flow is a violation.

I have a circumstance where a 2" trap arm (40") is used to drain a single sink. The trap arm goes into a standard 2x1.5x2 san-tee. Due to a 70s home and very limited space, reducing back to 1.5 on the vertical drop would make life a lot easier.

There is very limited space and a semi butchered 2x4 top plate to work with. When i build I always frame 2x6 for any wall calling plumbing but this time i do not have that luxury.

All said,,, I would not think on a vertical drop the reduction would be a worry, It has no solids, no disposal etc.

Thanks,
Chris

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a circumstance where a 2" trap arm (40") is used to drain a single sink. The trap arm goes into a standard 2x1.5x2 san-tee. Due to a 70s home and very limited space, reducing back to 1.5 on the vertical drop would make life a lot easier.
p401-257-3.jpg
Is this the standard santee you are talking about?

Chris989

Reaction score
Yes, 2 inch for trap arm, 2 inch drain, 1.5" vent. I was considering bushing the drain back to 1.5 as it turns through a few joist and through a top plate. It then would go back to 2".

THe more i talk about it the worst it sounds. I will squeeze in there next week and see if i can not make 2" work

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is just a lavatory sink there is no problem running an 1.5" drain, trap arm and vent.

But yes, if you reduce the drain to 1.5", you need to reduce the trap arm to 1.5". 42" max trap arm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks