What is a water softener probe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnman98

Reaction score
I have a GE pro elite water softener which has an autotrol 716 model head unit. The display has been showing error 6 which I found in the manual to say a disconnected or defective probe. I looked at the parts list and so not see a probe listed. Is this a sensor of some kind? Is it in the brine tank? Everything looks connected. Any help appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.proelitesystems.com/File...oad/en/1244359-operation-manual-w-rem-mon.pdf refers to an analyzer probe several times. It is item 17 on page 8. Then the manual gets into it more on pages 11 and 12. The sensor appears to be the primary means of determining when the softener needs regeneration. The system appears to have no water usage metering.

Page 22 writes of a setting (P14) that can disable the probes and get rid of error 6. I suspect that if you do that, you need to either trigger regenerations manually, or use the Days Override setting to enforce a maximum period between regenerations.

Last edited:

Johnman98

Reaction score
I did see this manual but my system looks nothing like this newer system. I am having a hard time finding anything online regarding the system I have.

Reach4

Reaction score
A water softener probe that connects to an Autotrol controller is a probe that helps the controller detect the hardness of the water in the bottom of the resin tank to determine if the softener should be regenerated soon.

Johnman98

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I unplugged the power adapter, found the access panel on the side of the resin tank and removed that, disconnected the sensors as well as disconnected the connection at the display. Once that was done I plugged everything back in and setup the display. The error 6 is gone for now and I'm hoping it just needed a reboot.

isolab328

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I unplugged the power adapter, found the access panel on the side of the resin tank and removed that, disconnected the sensors as well as disconnected the connection at the display. Once that was done I plugged everything back in and setup the display. The error 6 is gone for now and I'm hoping it just needed a reboot.
Did you have to decompress the tank when you removed the sensors? I am having the same issue and hope that resetting like you did will do the trick.

Bannerman

Reaction score
It sounds as though he did not remove the sensors but only disconnected the sensor connections from the circuit board and then reconnected them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks