Pricing Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Broken water line under the floor.

My guys are howling bloody murder because they want this work. I've always turned over this work to remediation companies and told them to let me know where there was access for me to do my work.

ok. So the guys are howling bloody murder. they want this work.

The job.
pull the toilet, pull the lavatory, pull the cast iron tub out. pulling the cast iron is going to make a mess of their VERY DATED - impossible to match tiles. Since we're going to make a mess of the tiles, we're going to gut this bathroom back to the bare studs.

then we're going to jackhammer the floor. find and fix the leak(s). Pressure test the lines to verify no more leaks under slab.

Then we'll get it inspected. get some fresh gravel in there and repour the concrete we tore out.

Final - we'll install a new americast bathtub, instal a new delta single handle faucet with shower riser, retile the backsplace and retile the rest of the 6' x 8' bathroom (walls and floor).

Then we'll re-install the perfectly good toilet and the perfectly good pedestal lavatory.

and finally, I'll hire a cleanup crew to make the brand new construction sparkle

I gave them a total price (basically re-doing their entire bathroom + the jackhammer & repair work) of $20,547.26

sending my estimate to the insurance adjuster. Any feedback would be appreciated. I've stepped away from these projects for years. But if the guys want a shot, I'm willing to give 'em a shot.

is 20,547.26.. too high? too low? Hey Terry - need your feedback here bud

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know anymore if that is ball park or not. Here where I'm at, it's hard to find many contractors that have the time.
In the past, I've gotten someone to do the leak detection so that I could pinpoint the leak first, and then I prefer a wet saw to make a cleaner cut in the concrete. It's easier to pour back to also.

I remember one time on the detection, we opened up the bathroom floor and it turned out to be in the next room. That was a funny one.
Another time I thought a water heater was bad, and it was a leaking pipe below the slab. I repiped the hot all the way to the kitchen, and then the homeowner didn't like seeing the pipe, and didn't want to cover it with molding near the ceiling. I then took out the hot pipe to the lav and kitchen sink on her request, after it had already been replumbed.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your very nice pictures of the new tub and tile. It was time for a remodel anyway. This just gave them a little push is all.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know anymore if that is ball park or not. Here where I'm at, it's hard to find many contractors that have the time.
In the past, I've gotten someone to do the leak detection so that I could pinpoint the leak first, and then I prefer a wet saw to make a cleaner cut in the concrete. It's easier to pour back to also.

I remember one time on the detection, we opened up the bathroom floor and it turned out to be in the next room. That was a funny one.
Another time I thought a water heater was bad, and it was a leaking pipe below the slab. I repiped the hot all the way to the kitchen, and then the homeowner didn't like seeing the pipe, and didn't want to cover it with molding near the ceiling. I then took out the hot pipe to the lav and kitchen sink on her request, after it had already been replumbed.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your very nice pictures of the new tub and tile. It was time for a remodel anyway. This just gave them a little push is all.
thanks terry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks