CFL Bulbs that really last for 5 Years

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
CFLs are four times more efficient and last up to 10 times longer than incandescents. A 22 watt CFL has about the same light output as a 100 watt incandescent. CFLs use 50 - 80% less energy than incandescents.

You have had better luck than I, If your life figures are real time.

Or are you going by what the package says ?

Maybe the key words are "up to" 10 times longer.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You have had better luck than I, If your life figures are real time.

Or are you going by what the package says ?

Maybe the key words are "up to" 10 times longer.
Yah, I think she's reading that info from the box and not talking from 'sperience.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What is a rep? Are you abbreviating representative without the period?

What are "swicthes"? Some new type of switch?

Why did you use an apostrophe like this.......LED's. Is that correct grammer?

The rules for apostrophes vary with the type of word. Learn where to put apostrophes so that your writing is clear and correct. In short, apostrophes are frequently used to indicate possession and in contractions, but never to pluralize.

My bad on the apostrophe. I know better than that but I was careless. Rep for "representative", is a noun, not necessarily in the OED, but widely accepted in trade circles without the period. The switch, if I understood him correctly, is a bimetallic, something like what might be found inside a thermostat. It is a physical switch which is either conducting..or INFINITE ohms. Electronic switches do not "snap" open to closed in the same manner, and very typically have leakage current even when the light should be "off". Devices with electronic drivers, like CFL and LED , do not respond well to such leakage currents.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
LIFE CYCLE. The industry standard measure of the life-hours for a product is to put 10,000 items in a room. Subject them to whatever is considered the "normal" off/on cycles, possibly accelerating the cycles. At the point where exactly HALF the bulbs have stopped working, THAT is the listed hour lifetime for that model.

A rep from American Fluorescent recently explained to me that it is a little different with LEDs. The element may run 30 years + and still be putting out light. But the elements do get dimmer as time goes by. Up to the stated life...let's say an item is an 8 year rated LED....the brightness is nearly the same as brand new. But then as further time goes by, it will get dimmer and after a certain period of time will be considered unsatisfactory, and that is when you replace it.

Yes, I do get to meet a lot of "reps" .. Long story.

DonL

Reaction score
I still have incandescent bulbs that have lasted much longer than these GE CFLs in the same room.

When a incandescent gos bad it gets brighter, for a split second. I have even heard them sing.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I still have incandescent bulbs that have lasted much longer than these GE CFLs in the same room.

When a incandescent gos bad it gets brighter, for a split second. I have even heard them sing.
Must be the fat lady inside. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. COULD NOT RESIST THAT DON! Thanks!

DonL

Reaction score
Lost another CFL at around 1500 hours

Must be the fat lady inside. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. COULD NOT RESIST THAT DON! Thanks!

That is funny Bob.

I turned it off after I heard her singing, and she stopped singing, then I turned it back on and she Blew. I guess she got pissed off.

I just lost another GE 6500K CFL this morning, I estimate it had about 1500 hours of use. less than 1 year old.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The major manufacturers warrant their CFL bulbs for the stated life...typically 6000 to 8000 hours. You should be able to return those to place of purchase.

DonL

Reaction score
The major manufacturers warrant their CFL bulbs for the stated life...typically 6000 to 8000 hours. You should be able to return those to place of purchase.

They are in warranty, but the shipping to China would cost more than a new bulb. Or would they just send new ones, Same Junk ?

I want to take them apart and see what failed.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
My best friend was doing 3 girls a day and his wife, and living a wild life.

I warned him "that the bulb always burns the brightest before it goes out"

he got a bit depressed, but a week later he was vaporized by running a stop sign just in front of a triple trailer big rig.

4 seconds more or less and he would be alive. The eastern europeans never leave for a car trip without a one minute sit down together just for such reasons.... rather odd idea, however.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What is inside the base on the ones I have taken apart is a little circuit board with a small transformer, a torroidal core coil, half dozen capacitors, a few resistors, 4 diodes, couple of transistors that's it.

No need to send it to china. Take it back to the store. They all have an open door bulb return policy.

DonL

Reaction score
My best friend was doing 3 girls a day and his wife, and living a wild life.

I warned him "that the bulb always burns the brightest before it goes out"

he got a bit depressed, but a week later he was vaporized by running a stop sign just in front of a triple trailer big rig.

4 seconds more or less and he would be alive. The eastern europeans never leave for a car trip without a one minute sit down together just for such reasons.... rather odd idea, however.

Happy National Weed Day. 4/20

I guess you are celebrating.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/20/420-meaning-the-true-stor_n_543854.html

Enjoy.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
What is inside the base on the ones I have taken apart is a little circuit board with a small transformer, a torroidal core coil, half dozen capacitors, a few resistors, 4 diodes, couple of transistors that's it.

No need to send it to china. Take it back to the store. They all have an open door bulb return policy.

Can I take them back after I take them apart ?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is funny Bob.

I turned it off after I heard her singing, and she stopped singing, then I turned it back on and she Blew. I guess she got pissed off.

I just lost another GE 6500K CFL this morning, I estimate it had about 1500 hours of use. less than 1 year old.
Better to be pissed off then pissed on

Reaction score

Half your problem is right there: GE. Their CFL's suck...and are unfortunately the most numerous. Still they last longer than incandescents by a long shot. They don't last as long as the HD store brand though, not even close. The failure rate of incandescents I've measured is at minimum 4 times greater than even the lousy GE's. I bought the GE's in Houston while I was living there in 2005...I still have a few of them although they are burning out at a faster rate than the HD store brand.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I have two 100 watt incandescent bulbs that have been burning from dust to dawn for more than 14 years now.
Anyone want to guess how this works?

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
I have two 100 watt incandescent bulbs that have been burning from dust to dawn for more than 14 years now.

probably because they never heat and cold cycle? i know that your bulbs last longer burning them than letting them sit. even with 12v automotive bulbs. i haven't replace any bulbs on my 2008 cr-v yet because i drive with the lights on all the time.

DonL

Reaction score

Works Good ?

At reduced AC voltage or rectifier in series, running them on DC ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks